[Weekly Discussion: Week 2] RPG Genre's flaws - "Grinding"

Started by
31 comments, last by ygworlds 11 years, 9 months ago

Eat, Sleep, Excrete! These are the three "Grand Issue" of life. These three grind are the things that humans must always do, yet why are there few people complaining about these three elements of life?

I've many times heard people complain about these, actually. "I get home from work and don't have time to do anything but eat dinner and go to bed!" is a pretty common complaint. Another grindy part of life is household chores. I personally hate doing laundry; I have to do two loads of laundry a week to keep my household running, sometimes three in winter when everyone wears more clothes. I do it because it has to be done, but that doesn't mean I don't resent it and wish I could be doing something else instead. I can't opt to play some other version of life where robots do my laundry for me, but I can certainly opt out of playing a game that makes me feel like I'm doing chores.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement

I would suggest that the player earns less exp from weak monsters, but earns more exp if he challenges himself by fighting difficult monsters. Also, each battle needs to be somewhat different. I would recommend having various immeasurables* for both the player and the opponent. The immeasurables need to be interesting enough such that each battle may require different tactics (even the boss fights), and in different situations, the optimal combination of immeasurables changes. Also, no immeasurable should be useless. Also, if the player is innovative enough, he may discover a gamebreaker combination to defeat the boss. If so, then the player should be allowed to reward himself for innovation. However, as the player levels up, he will go into different areas, where the enemies may have the proper immeasurables to counter the player, thus forcing the player to innovate further.

*http://penny-arcade....ode/power-creep

Interesting video on the power creep phenomenon.
Do you have les theoretical applications for your ideas? I'd love to see what it would look like once applied to actual design decisions.

If however the game has scalable enemies then character advancement of levels makes no difference at all, with the exception of possibly having a more customised character.

I agree with that part, and that's one of my worries. Obviously, a lot of skilled designers have chosen that path, and I'd like to know what I'm missing.

Eve prevents this by making advancement time based

How exactly is it applied in Eve? I know a lot of designers are also making that decisions now: to reward time spent playing rather than time spent towards performing "X" action.

The way to overcome this is to remove the result as the point of the action and to place it back into the action itself. People trawl dungeons in D&D because the game is fun to play, for example, and the treasure at the end is not the point of the quest but the icing on the cake. If you do not tell people what they are likely to get before they go there then they won't feel like they hve lost out, and they won't undertake the quest focused on the reward. This psychological framing is extremely important.

While most of your post discusses MMOs (and the topic was jRPGs) I find this particular section interesting. I'm having a hard time bringing the player back to having fun fighting rather than expecting the reward in a set environment. My method was for monsters not to drop any loot, merely resources (components and/or gold for example). That way, pretty much any battle is the same from the standpoint of the rewards, hence, players will choose whom they'd like to fight. The caveat is that I feel they'd settle for the easiest fights they can get...
Having a finite amount of monsters per area might overrule that though.

The second important thing is automation of resource gathering. This focuses players on setting up the infrastructure and design of resource gathering rather than the gathering itself. This reduces grind because it is a one off process that then allows for passive collection. After that you just need to refine the design, keep it maintained (minimal effort) and then focus on having fun whilst it does its thing. This removes the repition and allows players to feel like they own the system and not the system owning them.

Could a similar system be imagined for combat actually?

Grinding happens when you've mastered the skills the game requires of you at that time. So you end up using and reusing skills you've already mastered until the game decides to allow you more skills or has no more skills to offer you.

You'll use X and Y ability in an RPG until you level up allowing you to use ability Z.

In that example grinding occurs when you completely understand (or think you completely understand) ability X and Y and the game ceases to test those skills giving you the same challenge until you have satisfied the requirement of leveling up. This seems to be generally put in games to increase their play times. We still seem to sell games based on how much time your going to spend playing it, "Over 100 hours of gameplay!"

I wanted to disagree, but there is truth to what you say. I think I'm such a Chrono Trigger fan merely because the game is "as short as it can be". In other words, the designers removed everything they could until only a gem remained. As a result, though the game isn't hard, there's never really grinding anywhere to be found.

I've many times heard people complain about these, actually. "I get home from work and don't have time to do anything but eat dinner and go to bed!" is a pretty common complaint. Another grindy part of life is household chores. I personally hate doing laundry; I have to do two loads of laundry a week to keep my household running, sometimes three in winter when everyone wears more clothes. I do it because it has to be done, but that doesn't mean I don't resent it and wish I could be doing something else instead. I can't opt to play some other version of life where robots do my laundry for me, but I can certainly opt out of playing a game that makes me feel like I'm doing chores.

To top it off: a lot of people actually play games because life isn't as fun. I think its our job to make games less realistic and more fun. I really like the fact games stay away from feeding/drinking mechanisms and replace them by abstracts for example. You don't have to cook your food every so many hours and feed everyone. Most of the time, the game assumes that, if you have sufficient rations, your characters are wize enough not to ask you to micro-manage their food.
I think it is also part of the good design behind the jRPG combat system: unlike most games (action-based) where you must carry out every action, in a jRPG, you give a vague objective to carry out. Most of the time, it takes this form "Hurt" "This Guy" with "This!".
You specify nothing more and can see this being carried out.
Perhaps this could be taken one step further back, giving the player even less micro-management control over their party and relying on vague objectives?
Dragon Age's combat system allows to define small AI algorithms which I thought was the best part of the game. I think the problem with this is that it requires a lot of thinking between battles, and this makes it more complex for a game genre that is generally simpler and lacks sufficiently action that there doesn't need to be anymore slowdown.
In Dragon Age, the character you command goes realtime, which means you're not getting bored, but in the jRPG, if all actions get automated, the player ends up sitting on his ass waiting the battle through. That's probably even less entertaining than bashing the fight button!
I think out of every MMO game that I have played I had the least "grind" experience in Ultima Online. People will be like "no way" and I will stand behind my statement.

The thing with this is that this is "back in the day". I was exploring a world. Trying new things. Avoiding the prospect of being murdered. Britannia was a world. That is what is key in the process of lessening grinds, a world to explore and live in.

Now, the counter to my statement is that Ultima Online was horrifically grindy. It certainly could be. It all comes down to the player and how much they feel forced into "need this NOW" attitude. If they can compete without something they are more likely able to do what they want than be forced to hunt for this "something" just to compete. Crafting created most of the gear back in the day and it was perfectly useful in combat. You didn't have to go hunt down gear just to play.

Removing the "must haves" and replacing them with the "that would be nice" is where to start. No matter what developers do there will always be some form of grind though. Make a world, make it fun, and let the players create their own experience within it.

I still lament my time with Darkfall where I decided to play rather than grind and had a lot of fun for the first 6 months before the people who had spent the entire time up until then grinding out their super character started to play and could easily beat anyone. Eve prevents this by making advancement time based, and so does not reward people who spend their time grinding instead of playing, but they also have issues where new players are always going to be behind established players and that they will take some month to be as viable as they would like.

Actually EVE Online is still incredibly grindy. Instead of grinding for EXP to level up skills and stats, you grind for ISK (money) to buy equipment (and ships).

The skills are useless without the corresponding equipment. So even though they level up automatically over time, you still need to grind for the money/equipment to actually use them.

Oh, and there is "reputation" grinding. In order to unlock better missions, you need to repeat missions over and over again to get something like "reputation points". If I recall correctly, there are restrictions on the equipment/ships you can bring to a mission. So even if you have top notch skills and ships/equipment, you need to reputation grind to actually use them in PvE.

The thing with this is that this is "back in the day". I was exploring a world. Trying new things. Avoiding the prospect of being murdered. Britannia was a world. That is what is key in the process of lessening grinds, a world to explore and live in.

Your suggestion is essentially to blast fun at the player so they don't even reach the thought of grinding then?
At some point or another, if the difficulty makes it look like a survival game and that the player finds a way to earn rewards that smoothen this curve, I fear grinding will come back in the equation...

Crafting created most of the gear back in the day and it was perfectly useful in combat. You didn't have to go hunt down gear just to play.

I came up with a similar conclusion. I felt that tuning the combats so that they would reward component would make rewards less focussed, allowing the player to spend more time in another system to "grind for the best item" hopefully dividing the burden of the grind between activities to earn the components and activities to assemble them into actual items. Both are probably still grindable activities, but only half as often. This does not eradicate the problem, but it seems to alleviate the pressure on the player in some way without necessarily removing the difficulty curve from the equation.

Removing the "must haves" and replacing them with the "that would be nice" is where to start. No matter what developers do there will always be some form of grind though. Make a world, make it fun, and let the players create their own experience within it.

I think the "would be nice" is that they cost a lot of time and effort to produce, so most companies stay away from such investments, preferring to invest in things everyone will get. That said, its probably the only argument against optional content, and I intended to build a lot on this. Sidequests with optional loot looks to be like several viable strategies to increase the player's power without grinding.

Oh, and there is "reputation" grinding. In order to unlock better missions, you need to repeat missions over and over again to get something like "reputation points". If I recall correctly, there are restrictions on the equipment/ships you can bring to a mission. So even if you have top notch skills and ships/equipment, you need to reputation grind to actually use them in PvE.

I'm going to talk about something I don't know here, so keep me in check please. While I have no idea how Eve does this, I've played games such as Gemcraft Labyrinth where gameplay is extended by replaying earlier levels over and over again. While this may appear like cheap replayability expansion, it actually made a lot of sense in Gemcraft Labyrinth. While I was expecting to feel as though I was grinding for the most part, it turned out that the game mechanics made the level different enough that it was fun messing with it several more times. As Sunandshadow mentionned, its not grinding if that's now how the player feels about it. It is a repeated action, but it can be made fun if the game is made that way. The introduction of new player "toys" (to use Chris Perkins' expression) makes everything mundane novel again.

[quote name='ygworlds' timestamp='1341255724' post='4954999']
I still lament my time with Darkfall where I decided to play rather than grind and had a lot of fun for the first 6 months before the people who had spent the entire time up until then grinding out their super character started to play and could easily beat anyone. Eve prevents this by making advancement time based, and so does not reward people who spend their time grinding instead of playing, but they also have issues where new players are always going to be behind established players and that they will take some month to be as viable as they would like.

Actually EVE Online is still incredibly grindy. Instead of grinding for EXP to level up skills and stats, you grind for ISK (money) to buy equipment (and ships).

The skills are useless without the corresponding equipment. So even though they level up automatically over time, you still need to grind for the money/equipment to actually use them.

[/quote]

Hi Legendre - thanks for the reply :)

I split my post into 2 sections for xp and wealth and was speaking specifically about just those components within each section. My comment that Eve is not grindy in the way Darkfall was grindy is specifically referring to xp accumulation (or skill points in Eve's case), because it is a passive process. Even the expense of the skill books is relatively cheap compared to, say, a well fitted ship.

However the other part of the game, the wealth accumulation, is incredibly grindy as you rightly say. There are some specific exception (node trading, moon mining) but on the whole any type of wealth accumulation is all about repeatability. Ratting, missioning, incursions, mining, worm hole missions are all rinse and repeat of a very limited set of actions. And as you rightly point out missioning is probably the worst as you not only have to grind the high level missions to make a lot of money but you need to grind a lot of low level missions to even reach the high level ones.

So yes I agree with you that Eve is incredibly grindy overall, but with regard to skill accumulation all you really have to do is wait.
ygworlds.net - my ideas for my perfect mmo
If however the game has scalable enemies then character advancement of levels makes no difference at all, with the exception of possibly having a more customised character.

I agree with that part, and that's one of my worries. Obviously, a lot of skilled designers have chosen that path, and I'd like to know what I'm missing.
[/quote]

I'm not privy to the sort of decisions that these designers are making, so I have no idea why they do this. My gut feeling is that it is just cultural. D&D was the game that defined role playing, and I'm betting that almost every game designer either grew up playing the game, or grew up playing games that were designed by people that grew up playing the game.

How exactly is it applied in Eve? I know a lot of designers are also making that decisions now: to reward time spent playing rather than time spent towards performing "X" action.

Eve has no levels but it has a list of skills within your character sheet. Skills generally do two things - they either unlock the ability to do something, or they provide a bonus to doing it. So a weapon skill will allow you to use a weapon at level 1, and allow you to use a higher tech version of the same weapon at level 5, whilst giving a 2% damage bonus at each level.

In order to get a skill you need to buy a skillbook and then set to train it, which you can only do if the pre-requisites have been met. Each skill can be learned up to level 5, and each level of skill requires a certain number of skillpoints, that increases with each level of the skill. This expansion is pretty rapid, so going from level 4 to level 5 can take about 5 times as long as going from 0 to 4. Once a skill is set to train then skillpoints accumulate on that character. The rate of skillpoint accumulation depends upon your basic stats, any upgrades, and the type of skill you are learning.

Each skill has a primary stat and a secondary stat. The rate of skillpoint accumulation is based upon the character score of the primary stat plus half the character score of the secondary stat. So if you had a skill that used Intelligence as the primary stat and Memory as the secondary stat and your character had 20 Intelligence and 16 Memory then your score would be 20 + (16/2) = 28.

Additionally each skill has a multiplier that determines how long it takes to train. So a skill with a 5x modifier takes 5 times as long to train as a 1x skill, and this is applied by raising the number of skill points to get to the next level by that multiplier. This means that some of the hardest skills can take months to get to level 5.

While most of your post discusses MMOs (and the topic was jRPGs) I find this particular section interesting. I'm having a hard time bringing the player back to having fun fighting rather than expecting the reward in a set environment. My method was for monsters not to drop any loot, merely resources (components and/or gold for example). That way, pretty much any battle is the same from the standpoint of the rewards, hence, players will choose whom they'd like to fight. The caveat is that I feel they'd settle for the easiest fights they can get...
Having a finite amount of monsters per area might overrule that though.

I think that one difficulty you have to overcome is the expectation that players have may come from other games and not your game, so you might even get them thinking you are being a bit stingy. I'm not sure how to beat that expectation right away. To give an example when I was playing Deus Ex I would hack into computers and locks even when I had the password or code because doing so gave me the opportunity to gain items that would help in future hacking attempts that I predicted (falsely as it turns out) would be much harder, and if I didn't 'grind' these items up when it was easy then I'd really struggle later on.

But I think that once this expectation is overcome then players will start to focus on what they see as enjoyable. Some people will just go for easy, just as some players I think will always avoid easy, so you probably have a range. One thing I would say is that the games I have enjoyed the most is when I have had to go through multiple areas to get somewhere, because the sense of accomplishment in travelling, even if it was just to see what was over the next hill, is a great way to remove the grindy feeling. But then I'm an explorer at heart so that might be terrible for most people.

The second important thing is automation of resource gathering. This focuses players on setting up the infrastructure and design of resource gathering rather than the gathering itself. This reduces grind because it is a one off process that then allows for passive collection. After that you just need to refine the design, keep it maintained (minimal effort) and then focus on having fun whilst it does its thing. This removes the repition and allows players to feel like they own the system and not the system owning them.

Could a similar system be imagined for combat actually?
[/quote]

Hmmm... I don't know. One of the things I did like about D&D is how you got treasure at the end. Not so much the drop from the boss but the big pile of treasure afterwards. I liked it in the sense that you didn't have to actively worry about the treasure you just got closer to it the further you got. And although it was never the objective (well not for me personally) it was in a sense a passive accumulation because effectively the item drops was held off until the end and then you picked it up.

Expanding on this I think that you could get cleverer about this. In my above post I talked about having random dungeons that could be trawled, with a floorplan and monster placement algorithm controlling the design to make it unique(ish). Only a few things would need to be set in stone when you first enter. The cosmetics and the monster group for example you wouldn't want changing (unless starting with ratmen, going through orcs and ending up with skeletons is your thing). But the length and difficulty certainly doesn't have to happen until later. So what if your dungeon editor had an AI that could calculate how well you were doing? If you start blitzing through enemies then it could turn the difficulty up a notch, whilst if you start to struggle (or a party member dc's) then it could relax. This would not only provide a consistent challenge but would also provde the player or group with an intrinsic score. This score could feed into the reward - just be prepared to be metagamed by clever players!
ygworlds.net - my ideas for my perfect mmo

Posted Today, 04:13 PM

Orymus3, on 02 July 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

ygworlds, on 02 July 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

I'm not privy to the sort of decisions that these designers are making, so I have no idea why they do this. My gut feeling is that it is just cultural. D&D was the game that defined role playing, and I'm betting that almost every game designer either grew up playing the game, or grew up playing games that were designed by people that grew up playing the game.

Are you sure you are quoting the right place there? This portion of the discussion specifically discusses how games are no longer like D&D in that regard.
In earlier days of D&D, enemies didn't scale up with you. You could end up facing ogres that you were underleveled to beat up, or weaklings you could squash like flies. That gave sense to player improvement as your decisions (thus the amount of XP you'd get) mattered. If you carefully delved in each room of a dungeon, creatively solving everything, you would end up facing enemies that would be much less of a threat, but this was a reward in and of itself. If you went stright for the objective, then, you might be facing challenges.
As new games emerge, the idea of monsters scaling along with you (Oblivion, to name one) seem to defeat this curve, and I'm left to wonder what this logic really adds.

Orymus3, on 02 July 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

Eve has no levels but it has a list of skills within your character sheet. Skills generally do two things - they either unlock the ability to do something, or they provide a bonus to doing it. So a weapon skill will allow you to use a weapon at level 1, and allow you to use a higher tech version of the same weapon at level 5, whilst giving a 2% damage bonus at each level.

In order to get a skill you need to buy a skillbook and then set to train it, which you can only do if the pre-requisites have been met. Each skill can be learned up to level 5, and each level of skill requires a certain number of skillpoints, that increases with each level of the skill. This expansion is pretty rapid, so going from level 4 to level 5 can take about 5 times as long as going from 0 to 4. Once a skill is set to train then skillpoints accumulate on that character. The rate of skillpoint accumulation depends upon your basic stats, any upgrades, and the type of skill you are learning.

Each skill has a primary stat and a secondary stat. The rate of skillpoint accumulation is based upon the character score of the primary stat plus half the character score of the secondary stat. So if you had a skill that used Intelligence as the primary stat and Memory as the secondary stat and your character had 20 Intelligence and 16 Memory then your score would be 20 + (16/2) = 28.

Additionally each skill has a multiplier that determines how long it takes to train. So a skill with a 5x modifier takes 5 times as long to train as a 1x skill, and this is applied by raising the number of skill points to get to the next level by that multiplier. This means that some of the hardest skills can take months to get to level 5.

And what does the training action consist it. Selecting training and logging off? Pressing trainaing and waiting in front of the character? Performing actions that are unrelated?

I think that one difficulty you have to overcome is the expectation that players have may come from other games and not your game, so you might even get them thinking you are being a bit stingy. I'm not sure how to beat that expectation right away. To give an example when I was playing Deus Ex I would hack into computers and locks even when I had the password or code because doing so gave me the opportunity to gain items that would help in future hacking attempts that I predicted (falsely as it turns out) would be much harder, and if I didn't 'grind' these items up when it was easy then I'd really struggle later on.

Are you referring to Deus Ex Human Revolution here? I can distinctly remember doing that in one of the rooms that was filled with computers, along with every office area with any comp I could see. It was indeed a bit of a grind.

But I think that once this expectation is overcome then players will start to focus on what they see as enjoyable. Some people will just go for easy, just as some players I think will always avoid easy, so you probably have a range. One thing I would say is that the games I have enjoyed the most is when I have had to go through multiple areas to get somewhere, because the sense of accomplishment in travelling, even if it was just to see what was over the next hill, is a great way to remove the grindy feeling. But then I'm an explorer at heart so that might be terrible for most people.

So, actual exploration then? For example, long interconnected landscape with no actual fighting? I think you'd need some form of action to pace this, like a jumping ability or something. Mystic Quest had some of those, but they weren't the best...

Hmmm... I don't know. One of the things I did like about D&D is how you got treasure at the end. Not so much the drop from the boss but the big pile of treasure afterwards. I liked it in the sense that you didn't have to actively worry about the treasure you just got closer to it the further you got. And although it was never the objective (well not for me personally) it was in a sense a passive accumulation because effectively the item drops was held off until the end and then you picked it up.

I agree that putting 'treasure rooms' dissociates the reward from the actual combat. The drawback to this is that it makes combat less rewarding, more of an obstacle, and players may be tempted to run away more, leading to under-leveled characters. That means before long, players will be having a hard time fighting monsters, and their easiest solution will be to grind up a few levels. Would there be a way to avoid this loophole?

Expanding on this I think that you could get cleverer about this. In my above post I talked about having random dungeons that could be trawled, with a floorplan and monster placement algorithm controlling the design to make it unique(ish). Only a few things would need to be set in stone when you first enter. The cosmetics and the monster group for example you wouldn't want changing (unless starting with ratmen, going through orcs and ending up with skeletons is your thing). But the length and difficulty certainly doesn't have to happen until later. So what if your dungeon editor had an AI that could calculate how well you were doing? If you start blitzing through enemies then it could turn the difficulty up a notch, whilst if you start to struggle (or a party member dc's) then it could relax. This would not only provide a consistent challenge but would also provde the player or group with an intrinsic score. This score could feed into the reward - just be prepared to be metagamed by clever players!

I like this idea as its not exactly scaling monster level based on player level. There could be some form of range. For example, monsters here are level 5 +/- 3 depending how well/bad you're doing, and it scales back up as you seem to be getting the hang of it. Slowly shifting up and down would require to define powerful metrics though. Player level alone wouldn't be enough as you point out. I can see how one player character dying means the player is in trouble, but how do you determine the player is blasting through 'too easily'?
Also, how do you determine that 'score'? a measure of the level of monsters you fight compared to the max level they could be?
Any games that come down to "grinding" will force a large number of players to use "A.I." known as "BOTS" in those communities.

And when your game forces people to use "BOTS" you know there is quite the inherent flaw in the game.

I played a game where half the population was "BOTS" in their training time, and only appeared for the important aspects of the game, such as when they go to "war".

I myself never used a "BOT", but its also the reason why I never got to a high level the entire time I played the game.

Those who looked down on bots where proud of the many, many, hours they spent leveing their character to ridiculous levels and through ridiculous amounts of "experience", (literally in the millions!!!!!)

I myself, kind of saw it as a waste of time to have to go through such unfathomable numbers just to get to the "enjoyable" part of the game. HENCE, my loathing for the level up and experience system. I was rather irked that to get to my favorite part of the game, which was being able to use a multitude of techniques to make your fights more strategic and just ENJOY the fighting, you had to go through hundreds of hours of obliterating sprites over and over again! If I can't get to a good part of a game in less than an hour, and stay at that level afterwards, then something is definitely wrong here!
Once again, that seems to apply mostly to MMOs, which aren't the focus of this discussion.

On a quick sidenote: Extra Credits made a three part episodes ont he wRPG vs jRPG genres and underlined interesting reasons for the downfall of the jRPG genre.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement