Start with SFML or SDL?

Started by
11 comments, last by jbadams 11 years, 9 months ago
I've used SDL for a few games and found it easy enough to get along with. After picking up C++ again, I was building SDL games in a matter of weeks thanks to Lazy Foo. I've posted a few articles over at my blog about some different things I've come across whilst developing my SDL apps, which might come in helpful, along with the sourcecode to the games to download as well if you want to have a look at what kind of code SDL produces.

I've found it remarkably easy to use SDL, the only thing I've come across that it doesn't do (so far) is rotation. I'm sure if I played around with the OpenGL side though I could nail that down. Lazy Foo has a tutorial for everything that you could need and each one has working sourcecode that you can run and see working and interrogate to make changes and see how they impact the output. I really can't praise the man enough.
Advertisement
Thank u guys, very helpfull. I started with C before C++ and im still practicing object oriented programming with c++ but ill go with SFML then.

I'd say SDL because it's just there silently in the background.

I just thought I'd quickly note that you can also use SFML in the same way -- and in the C++ spirit of "only paying for what you use" it's typically built as a series of separate components (some of which rely on each other) so that you can choose to only link against the functionality you're actually using.

@Greemax:
Great, glad we could be of help making your decision, good luck with it!

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement