Compeletly lost! Helppp

Started by
9 comments, last by Detectiverr 11 years, 9 months ago
Right now, I got a lot of questions. I'm learning how to program games with C++ and reading "How to progarm C++" cuz I want to be a game programmer but... people told me to start out small like 2D games. Whenever I find how to install allegro, it just frustrates me cuz mostly all the "how to" videos/websites are 2-4 years old/out dated. Anyways, should I read "How to program C++" until I finish it? Or do both like learn how to program and make 2D games.Or make those "Drop and drag" games? I tried out to make pong with tutorials but.....it doesn't have the same complier/IDE.... l only got Code blocks. If there's a guide how to be a game programmer, that would be great and a "how to make a 2D game" as a beginner guide.
Advertisement

Whenever I find how to install allegro, it just frustrates me cuz mostly all the "how to" videos/websites are 2-4 years old/out dated.

And? That's not that old.

I'd say slow down. Slow down a lot. If you want to make games in C++, you need to first learn C++. Focus on properly learning C++ before moving onto Allegro or any other game library, because it's your most fundamental tool. If you don't understand the language, learning Allegro or any other library is, to be quite frank, pointless (and incredibly difficult and frustrating).
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

[quote name='Detectiverr' timestamp='1341183947' post='4954682']
Whenever I find how to install allegro, it just frustrates me cuz mostly all the "how to" videos/websites are 2-4 years old/out dated.

And? That's not that old.

I'd say slow down. Slow down a lot. If you want to make games in C++, you need to first learn C++. Focus on properly learning C++ before moving onto Allegro or any other game library, because it's your most fundamental tool. If you don't understand the language, learning Allegro or any other library is, to be quite frank, pointless (and incredibly difficult and frustrating).
[/quote]

Sorry, I'm like really impatient!!! :( Trying to be patient lol...
Some of the best programming reference material out there is up to 30 years old. Don't dismiss things just because they weren't produced last week.

Also, I agree that you should slow down. Becoming a good programmer is not something that you do over a summer vacation. You're going to need to invest a lot of time and energy, and to that end, developing a good dose of patience and diligence is vital.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Yeah, frankly if you arent able to spend the time learning what you need to know, you are pretty much doomed.

Once you've got the basics of C++ down, and want to create a simple game, run through this tutorial. However, it wont do anything for you if you haven't learned the very basics.
Ok I'll try to take my time, reading and understanding it. Thanks all.
Here is a guide on learning C++ and game programming at the same time ... https://www.google.c...rogramming .pdf ( First Link )

.... C++ is not the ideal language to learn as a first language, it can get very confusing ....

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ummm which book I should start reading? I got 2 books. One "how to program C++" and the another that you gave me "Beinning through game programming".
Flip a coin. Read whichever one you like.

Then read the other one.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

If you are just starting out, I would recommend learning a different language to start with programming, such as Java or C# (only because they are widely recognized as easy languages). Then it will become easier for you to learn another language such as C or C++ (I recommend C first, because it teaches about memory management and referencing, then C++ to add OOP from previous languages).
To start with making games, you should first learn about basic game structure through console games such as minesweeper. Then you need to choose an SDK/API to work with.
Some notable ones include:

• API: XNA (mainly used with C#, requires .Net, and only works on Microsoft platforms; Windows, XBOX360, Windows Phone)
  • SDK (Engine): Unity (mainly graphical interface, coding required for complex games)

Or, you can choose to work low-level and code a basic game engine in C++ customized to each game of your choice, for tthis you will need to implement all low-level graphics API calls tothe API of your choice (OpenGL or DirectX).

This entire process should take you around 5-8 months if you study carefully 10+ hours per week.

Hope I answered your questions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement