Looking for some source code from simple games?

Started by
2 comments, last by littletray26 11 years, 9 months ago
I was just hoping you guys could link me to the source code for some simple games: (Mario, Tetris and other 2D/simple 3D games)
pretty much anything 2D and basic 3D would be great

They would need to utilize D3D9 and C++ because I would like to just look over them and learn

The majority of Internet Explorer users don't understand the concept of a browsing application, or that there are options.
They just see the big blue 'e' and think "Internet". The thought process usually does not get much deeper than that.

Worms are the weirdest and nicest creatures, and will one day prove themselves to the world.

I love the word Clicky
Advertisement
You could take a look at the open-sourced Secret Maryo Chronicles, 0 A.D. or The Battle for Wesnoth. They're written in OpenGL rather than DirectX, but you could still examine the non-graphics code, and if you're up for a bit of translation the general concepts will still apply to DirectX. Of the three, Secret Maryo Chronicles will probably be the easiest to try to get your head around, as it's not as complex. Someone else may be able to suggest a DirectX-based project you could examine.

Keep in mind that examining existing code might not provide an ideal learning experience: it certainly shouldn't be harmful, but it's no replacement for books and tutorials that provide an explanation along with any code samples. The potential problem when reading code -- particularly for a beginner -- is that you can only see the final product; you won't generally be given any idea of why certain decisions were made, and may not be able to judge whether a certain piece of code is actually good code, or if it just manages to get the job done.

Sorry I'm not aware of any DX based projects to suggest, but I hope that's still helpful. smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

They would need to utilize D3D9 and C++ because I would like to just look over them and learn

If your trying to learn D3D9 or DirectX in general, I highly recommend, anything by Frank Luna.
Such as, Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 11.

He also has books on DirectX9 and 10.

You could take a look at the open-sourced Secret Maryo Chronicles, 0 A.D. or The Battle for Wesnoth. They're written in OpenGL rather than DirectX, but you could still examine the non-graphics code, and if you're up for a bit of translation the general concepts will still apply to DirectX. Of the three, Secret Maryo Chronicles will probably be the easiest to try to get your head around, as it's not as complex. Someone else may be able to suggest a DirectX-based project you could examine.

Thanks, I'll definitely have a look at those :)

If your trying to learn D3D9 or DirectX in general, I highly recommend, anything by Frank Luna.
Such as, Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 11.

I have that book - and although I am learning D3D9, that's not the reason I wanted soure code. It's more that I'm trying to see how they got around certain problems or did/handled certain things :P
The majority of Internet Explorer users don't understand the concept of a browsing application, or that there are options.
They just see the big blue 'e' and think "Internet". The thought process usually does not get much deeper than that.

Worms are the weirdest and nicest creatures, and will one day prove themselves to the world.

I love the word Clicky

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement