Should I learn .NET for making design tools?

Started by
22 comments, last by SimonForsman 11 years, 9 months ago
I don't always make tools, but when I do, I use C#.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Advertisement
I've gone a slightly detoured route where I link .net into an unmanaged c++ exe via late loaded dlls. and bound .net into the scripting language. This has the benefit of being able to use .net to write your tools directly into the game, while the game is running - with complete access to everything bound to the scripting language.

The most practical example is being able to use .net's PropertyGrid with any object in the game with minimal effort, but has been taken much much further into providing editors for various parts of gameplay, and writing custom data viewers. The binding of the .net libraries was done using managed c++ solely so the dll could have unmanaged exports, but every other tool library we write is in C#.
Aaaah. I was away for a while and the tread got bigger. Thank you everyone for your advice. I started looking at the MSDN docs for the .NET framework and after a little while it set off my "do 3 weeks of work to save 5 minutes of time" sensors, so I aborted pending better documentation or a more significant need.

As for what kinds of tools I'm looking to develop, I finished the editor tool and moved the project out of beta. I posted it in the 'breaking in' forum asking for advice about making it acceptable for a portfolio project.

Here be the thread, if you wanna peek at the tools. In the solution they're the 'rpak' and 'stage editor' projects.

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/628222-looking-for-feedback-concerning-code-for-a-portfolio/

It's not really the difficulty of working with GDI in terms of not understanding it or something. It's just the overwhelming rectal discomfort caused by managing it. I was actually thinking of making a GDI wrapper class, but I'll check out some of the ones mentioned first.

Thank you everyone! :)
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

It's not really the difficulty of working with GDI in terms of not understanding it or something. It's just the overwhelming rectal discomfort caused by managing it.

Thats the main reason for all the alternative GUI libraries out there to exist(and quite alot of other libraries aswell), Win32 isn't difficult, it is tedious and timeconsuming and that really is far worse than being difficult. (Things that are difficult become easier as your skills improve, the tedious and timeconsuming things however remains tedious and timeconsuming forever)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement