• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Help me change my life and career.

This topic is 2024 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

People seem to make it sound like in C/C++ you could potentially blow your PC up in a puff of purple smoke. Don't let the word "dangerous" scare you forever into higher level languages such as python or java. Dangerous simply means if your program compiles fine but behaves wrong you'll get a little popup telling you the program hung. Big deal. It used to be worse with blue screen of death (even that wasn't lethal to HW) but that currently requires bad kernel code (drivers)

One bad line of code from a novice, can cause permanent damage to the OS in C++ . Hands down, it's not a very user friendly language to learn.
Java is a safe language for some one who doesn't know how to code, to play around with, however the language can get very abstract. "Learning Online" can be frustrating as well.
To learn the basics of how to program, go with < pick one or more > Python, C#, Ruby, Lua ..... All those languages ( and a lot more I didn't list ) will teach you the basics.

I just don't recommend C++ or Java to someone who doesn't know the basics of coding.

Advertisement

One bad line of code from a novice, can cause permanent damage to the OS in C++ .

Every program runs in its own address space and one program cannot access any other programs address space, this is called paging. If you try to access an address in memory that your program cannot read it will cause a segmentation or page fault and your program will crash. No damage will occur.

LOL tell me a bad line that'll blow up my windows. User code not kernel code.

It's a bit complicated, and out of scope for this topic.

One bad line of code from a novice, can cause permanent damage to the OS in C++ .

huh? Come again?

You can't possibly be serious.

[quote name='Fredericvo' timestamp='1341621625' post='4956539']
LOL tell me a bad line that'll blow up my windows. User code not kernel code.

It's a bit complicated, and out of scope for this topic.
[/quote]

How can a single line of code be complicated?

Google dislikes people who develop for Android, and provides them with terrible tools for programming. All people I have known who have worked on Android NDK have gone mad except one, and that is just because he is a “special” person who likes debugging with sprintf() and #if 0 instead of using breakpoints and watchpoints.

It really isn’t a joke. One of my coworkers confessed yesterday that since he got tasked with Android programming it is the first time in 5 or 6 years at this company that he has considered quitting. The other one literally has some kind of addiction to debugging, and so he is happy with Android programming.
Because that is basically all you are doing when working with the NDK. Pure raw unabridged debugging, and nothing else. Not moving forward, just debugging.

L. Spiro

I know this may be off topic, but this post is priceless

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement