Do you remember gamebooks (books where you are the hero and jump from page to page)?

Started by
16 comments, last by xarnaudx 11 years, 9 months ago
I think I could get something running pretty quickly ...I just don't know if there would be people wanting to play it and write for it
Advertisement

This one has a "fear score" determined before you start playing, each disturbing event adds between 1-3 fear score, if the player gets to the max fear number they "die of fear". lol http://en.wikipedia....i/House_of_Hell Not only that, it's a horror taking place modern day, pretty rare and it's from 1984. I want to use that in a dungeon crawler.

This one: http://en.wikipedia....eves_(gamebook)

Most encounters in the city are potentially lethal, several being no-win situations where the best outcome involves injury or loss of money.
YEEEESSSSSS....

Read/played both of them. Great fun. Although (like a few I suspect) I cheated on the rolls due to not having dice handy and hating losing. ;)

I think I could get something running pretty quickly ...I just don't know if there would be people wanting to play it and write for it

I'd be interested in playing it. I could potentially think of things to write for it (the wonders of being a Dungeon Master XD).
You could probably post it on Facebook, and you could raise money for advertising on Kickstarter or Indiegogo (although the main goal of such a campaign would be for the publicity).
Well then ...I could give it a shot.

Now, all that is missing are people interested in it and some good name / url for it.

What do you think of "Open Quest" ? Or do you have other suggestions?
Actually, I would have enjoyed a domain like "be-a-hero.net", sadly that's already taken.
However, finding an alternative cool sounding name/url would be really cool.
Video based versions of these games were made, both on PC and later on DVD where the story rather than being text was a short video clip followed by your options. With the speed of the internet now it would be entirely possible to make a video based version of this - if you can convince enough of your friends to star in it ;)

Of the list my favourites were:
Deathtrap dungeon, and it's successor trial of champions (I actually coded trial of champions into an MSX on BASIC when I was 10)
House of Hell (as stated above the fear factor was very cool, and surely ripped by Call of Cthulu?)
Freeway Fighter (although was annoying that you had to stop everywhere or you'd run out of stuff)
Rings of Kether (amazing space adventure, still to this day not a clue what was going on)

Also special mention to City of Thieves, the basis for the advanced fighting fantasy games of dungeoneer and blacksand - a novel way of creating tabletop roleplaying through the concept of a movie script.
ygworlds.net - my ideas for my perfect mmo

Well then ...I could give it a shot.

Now, all that is missing are people interested in it and some good name / url for it.

What do you think of "Open Quest" ? Or do you have other suggestions?
Actually, I would have enjoyed a domain like "be-a-hero.net", sadly that's already taken.
However, finding an alternative cool sounding name/url would be really cool.

beaherothegamebook.net?

It's not uncommon to find an url already taken, which is why, for example, FTL is at ftlgame.com instead of ftl.com
...so, here is the first draft:

http://be-the-hero.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement