DirectX 9 or DirectX 11 ?

Started by
13 comments, last by ProgrammerDX 10 years, 5 months ago

[quote name='Telios' timestamp='1341425643' post='4955682']
Direct3D 9 supports Xbox360 and Windows XP, whereas D3D11 does not.

Direct3D 11 supports Windows Vista onwards only, but can run on earlier D3D9-level hardware using feature levels.

Ok, that;s clear, but does Direct3D 9 support Vista and Windows 7 ? In other words, can someone install DirectX 9.0 SDK on Windows 7 and develop a game that will run on WinXp to Win 7 and above ?
[/quote]

Sure, as long as your target machine has the required runtimes installed.
And there's no such thing as the DirectX 9.0 SDK, all current versions of DirectX (including 9) are bundled together in the DirectX SDK (which is now part of the Windows SDK)

I gets all your texture budgets!

Advertisement
However be aware that you are learning an outdated API and way of doing things on a vanishing market share.

Give it a year or two and your DX9 knowledge will be worthless and you'll need to learn the latest APIs anyway.

If you are starting RIGHT NOW and want to learn how to use the DX API then 11 is the only sensible choice as it's what all the up and coming tech is based around.

I'm still using D3D9 because Windows XP :\

Also I kind of like the Unicode draw text functionality of ID3DXFont... I don't want to go back to Font Bitmaps again, it's too limited if you need all languages to work in your application at the same time

This thread was started July 2012, then had a 4 month period of peaceful death before being necroed, then had an 11 month peaceful death before being necroed again. Just FYI.

Also, XP is not going to be supported by MS in a few months, so targeting it is... old school.

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

Oh yeah I meant to make that post in 'D3D9 is dead' not this one

Don't know how this happened.. lol! Probably because I was googling before deciding to reply, and then replied in the wrong topic

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement