What should I program with?

Started by
6 comments, last by Dream Cutter 11 years, 9 months ago
Hey guys. I'm new and have no idea how to program or even what to program with. There are so many different tutorials that I don't know which is best. Whats the easiest to learn? Also if you can link me to amazing tutorials that would be nice.

The basic game I am trying to make is a game like the application "Game Dev Story" for the iphone, except I want this game to be about movie making and on computers.
Advertisement
Q: What to program with?
A: A text-editor, a compiler, and your brain.

But if you meant like what language this might turn in to a little war. But anyway, this is the way I took into programming was; VB6, touched VB.Net, PHP, C++, C# - and I'm always peeking into python and ruby.
Python is pretty easy, however jumping straight into making games is an inherent no no.

Although seeming as you've given us a game already here are my thoughts (I have played the demo on android of that game btw):

• The original game had a simple isometric camera view with all characters represented as 2d "bill boards". For simplicity the camera angle could be changed to match that of the pokemon games (sometimes referred to as 2.5D) without any impact on game play, alternately you could leave it as it is, 2.5d would probably be easier to implement the first time round anyway.
  • Most of the game you interacted through menu's on screen with the odd little animated sequence. Making menus in a 2d renderer is time consuming but once you have 1 you straight away have the framework for the others.
  • Otherwise this game is heavy on the background logic. Theres little rendering involved but theres quite alot going on behind the scenes so programming knowledge will be needed.
Start by reading this guide, it pretty much answers exactly the question you asked ( as much as such a question can be answered ) and points you towards the next bits you will need to know. It's a complex question, so the article is quite long, but you should know about twice as much as you do now.

Also keep in mind, because it doesn't recommend certain options explicitly ( HTML5, Lua, ActionScript, etc... ) doesn't mean they aren't viable alternatives. You just have to draw the line somewhere or you end up REALLY big.

Previously my suggestion would be C# + XNA, but lately I have a bit more trouble making that recommendation, as Microsoft is run by a bunch of boneheads lately. C# is still a good suggestion, it's the XNA part I'm a bit iffy on.

On the bright side, you really can't make a mistake, other than to waste all your time deciding what to go with. Pick something and learn it, the skills you learn will be transferable to any other language should you decide to switch later. At this point in my career I've used easily a dozen languages, and each one gets incrementally easier to learn than the last one... except LISP. I don't think my brain can grok LISP. :)

Previously my suggestion would be C# + XNA, but lately I have a bit more trouble making that recommendation, as Microsoft is run by a bunch of boneheads lately. C# is still a good suggestion, it's the XNA part I'm a bit iffy on.
Solution, C# + monogame. Microsoft seem to be neglecting XNA whereas monogame is being actively developed and improved. monogame works across windows mac and linux aswell.

Python is pretty easy, however jumping straight into making games is an inherent no no.

Although seeming as you've given us a game already here are my thoughts (I have played the demo on android of that game btw):

• The original game had a simple isometric camera view with all characters represented as 2d "bill boards". For simplicity the camera angle could be changed to match that of the pokemon games (sometimes referred to as 2.5D) without any impact on game play, alternately you could leave it as it is, 2.5d would probably be easier to implement the first time round anyway.
  • Most of the game you interacted through menu's on screen with the odd little animated sequence. Making menus in a 2d renderer is time consuming but once you have 1 you straight away have the framework for the others.
  • Otherwise this game is heavy on the background logic. Theres little rendering involved but theres quite alot going on behind the scenes so programming knowledge will be needed.

Start by reading this guide, it pretty much answers exactly the question you asked ( as much as such a question can be answered ) and points you towards the next bits you will need to know. It's a complex question, so the article is quite long, but you should know about twice as much as you do now.

Also keep in mind, because it doesn't recommend certain options explicitly ( HTML5, Lua, ActionScript, etc... ) doesn't mean they aren't viable alternatives. You just have to draw the line somewhere or you end up REALLY big.

On the bright side, you really can't make a mistake, other than to waste all your time deciding what to go with. Pick something and learn it, the skills you learn will be transferable to any other language should you decide to switch later. At this point in my career I've used easily a dozen languages, and each one gets incrementally easier to learn than the last one... except LISP. I don't think my brain can grok LISP. smile.png

Thank guys :)

On the bright side, you really can't make a mistake, other than to waste all your time deciding what to go with. Pick something and learn it, the skills you learn will be transferable to any other language should you decide to switch later. At this point in my career I've used easily a dozen languages, and each one gets incrementally easier to learn than the last one... except LISP. I don't think my brain can grok LISP. smile.png

Its easy to get Lost In a Sea of Parentheses.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Some tips if you are seeking a less tedious approach to your first game. I started with flash because I wanted to make web playable games, and after reading some of the ASP basics and spending a ton of cash on Adobe CS5 and found it easiest to learn by reverse engineering existing games where source was available. Lately I got into 3D browser based games 3D engines are fun and easy to program. Its also very cheap with 3d modeling and rendering apps like Blender and TrueSpace being free, and site google warehouse and 3d content clubs where there is tons of free 3d figures, props and related content. Game engines like unity, torque, Blitz#D and away3d are affordable, however some programming knowledge is necessary. Some engines have unique "code-less" programming interfaces that make it really simple to establish gameplay logic by assigning properties, triggers, actions and behaviors to nodes using a menu based system. Here is a tutorial & link to CopperCube 3 (Amberia) a free 3d game engine engine. You can make a full game including 3rd person based games w/o programming. I made a game, and put the source & 3d content here to follow along with the tutorial to show how its done and so you can try your own without having to spend a day assembling all the resources. Get going, you could have your first mini-game done and on the web by the crack of dawn!
3DSkyDome.com animated sky boxes and instant 3d Android & WebGL publishing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement