HELP!

Started by
22 comments, last by Telastyn 11 years, 9 months ago
I am starting my career as a programmer and I know very very basic C++ but before i go any farther, I was wondering what kind of.....idk....... 2d/3d audio/visual/networking thing I should use!!! As you can see I know nothing about this topic at all (especially since I dont have any idea what it is called:D) and I have been scrounging around the web for any type of material that could help sway me to a certain one but came up empty handed and starving for info!!!! Could somebody please help me?!?!? So far all I have come up with is 'SFML' and it looks sounds good but I cant tell if thats the one I should use..... Just to give you an idea on what Im looking for, I want to be able to implement:

Object-oriented features
2d/3d features
Very basic: visuals/audio/(perhaps even some multiplayer capabilities although I wont need them)/GUI implementation
Ability to make an instance of an object(be able to make a box or something and have it displayed over a hundred times, with all the same characteristics but with out making a sprite for everysingle one)(example: 2d/3d minecraft clone capabilities)
Usably by an indie developer
Not to hard to set up

Any help on this matter would be so beneficial for me you wouldnt believe it!!!! I hope that with all this info given, somebody can help enlighten me with one that hits more than half of the criteria if not all of it.

Please help, thanks,
Saint Squireen

~Saint Squireen
Advertisement
Sounds like you are after a game engine perhaps? Seeing as you dont have much in the way of programming experience, I'd suggest Game Maker - see yoyogames.com.
Storm Clouds over the Western Front - 2D aerial combat WIP | DarklightXNA on Twitter | 2DFlightSim on Youtube
If you intend to go the programming route instead of something like Game Maker, SFML can do that. 3D may take a little extra work.
Well, see, the thing is that, at this very second (Dont take me too literally haha), is basically draw something on the screen. Maybe at a later time like next week or next month or next year I will get to all of the stuff that makes a game, a game but right now I want to focus on learning straight up C++ and very, very, very basic Gui/ drawing/coloring stuff.

~Saint Squireen
[Dragonsoulj] I did do a little more research on SFML and it does look like a very nice and helpful (library?). The problem is that it also seems very hard and not helpful to set up properly.

~Saint Squireen

Well, see, the thing is that, at this very second (Dont take me too literally haha), is basically draw something on the screen. Maybe at a later time like next week or next month or next year I will get to all of the stuff that makes a game, a game but right now I want to focus on learning straight up C++ and very, very, very basic Gui/ drawing/coloring stuff.

A game is no different then writing a large piece of software, the only thing that is different is its designed to be game. Their are literally tons of steps you must take before you reach what you can consider a game. My suggestion is you stop focusing on large things, such as a, "mine-craft clone" and start focusing on smaller projects. Not to make you feel bad but it's going to be years, before you get to where you can make a mine-craft clone. Especially if your not even fluent in C++ yet.
Ok. Totally understandable. Dont worry about that, its not that harsh hahaha Everywhere Ive looked has told me (and the actual people it was addressed to) start with a tic-tac-toe game, or a 'Guess my Number' game where sometimes the player has to try to guess the randomly generated number and sometimes the computer will have to try to guess the players picked number. All of these seem within my capabilities right now so I think thats what I should stick to for the time being. Does that seem right to you?

~Saint Squireen

[Dragonsoulj] I did do a little more research on SFML and it does look like a very nice and helpful (library?). The problem is that it also seems very hard and not helpful to set up properly.

i disagree 100%. SFML is NOT that hard to setup. It's just like any other game engine/graphics library. http://www.gamefromscratch.com/page/Game-From-Scratch-CPP-Edition.aspx < That link shows how to set it up for C++ for VS Express. http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/ < and that link shows how to set it up for multiple platforms.
I set it up in VS and Code::Blocks with no problem. SFML is easier than DX and OpenGL when it comes down to syntax, how is that hard? o.o I started with SFML and it's pretty simple to understand. I mean considering that you're just getting started in this field somethings may seem difficult in that aspect but I'm sure after awhile you'll see that it's rather simple. :)
And i agree that you should probably start small and work you're way up. If you're going with C++ there is a book on amazon for game programming which teaches you C++ while making small games. http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Game-Programming-Development-Series/dp/1592002056/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1341492387&sr=8-8&keywords=C%2B%2B+game < Check it out.
Please don't go so overboard tagging your post (for example, there is no need to tag your post with variations of your own username or variations of the word "programming" that are spelled incorrectly or different capitalizations of various APIs).

I have removed most of the tags.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement