Sign in to follow this  

Reflective surface

This topic is 1982 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to think of / find a way to write a shader that reproduces this effect where an object passed to said shader has a reflection of itself below itself like in the picture below. My best idea so far is to do a second inverted pass and then have some sort of function to determine how alpha'd out that particular part of the image needed to be. My problem is mainly that while I can easily just do a second pass and tell all the verts "Hey man, do a 180" that would only result in a second image being right on top of my first, upside-down.
[url="http://aefreemart.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/wavylogo.jpg"][img]http://aefreemart.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/wavylogo.jpg[/img][/url]

If I posted this in the wrong section or this post has been discussed before please forgive me :( I don't want to annoy anyone.

Thank you for any and all tips / advice!

You'll find a lot of info by searching for "planar reflections". N.B. older literature will explain how to do it via the stencil buffer ([i]where you do your main pass 1st, and relfection pass 2nd[/i]), and newer literature will more likely do it via render-targets ([i]where you do the reflection pass 1st to a texture, then the main pass 2nd[/i]).

If doing it via the render-reflected-scene-to-texture-and-project-onto-mirror-geometry technique, then when rendering your 1st/reflection pass, you can fade the alpha based on the distance from the current pixel to the clipping/mirror plane.

Planar Reflections was a great read and I learned plenty from it. I found the easiest way to achieve what I wanted ( I'm using Unity so this was much simpler ) was to draw the objects I wanted reflected to a second texture ( in this case a RenderTexture in Unity ) and the camera drawing to this texture was inverted while doing so. I just simply positioned this second texture below the first one and applied a basic fading shader to get the results I wanted! thanks for the suggestions everyone!

This topic is 1982 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.