Sign in to follow this  
Al_capwn'd

An open world Racing game

[font=Arial][size=4][background=transparent]It would work relatively simply.

There is a single marked starting line, a marked endpoint, and an open world, in the style of venice. There would be a line marking a recommended route, avoiding areas with lots of people, obstacles. A minimap showing your location, and a toggleable master map. There would be very simple AI people who wander around the map, but flee when a player comes near. [/background][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=4][background=transparent] The player would sit atop a vespa (Motor Scooter) and race to the destination point.

You’d race against 4 other either people or AI atop vespas. Each one has a specific AI.
The first follows your route, and wanders when it catches up or loses you. Then, when and if possible, it follows you again.
The second follows the recommended route.
The third Picks from 1 of 6 predetermined routes.
The fourth Makes a random decision at every fourth intersection, but otherwise makes the decision at each intersection that will bring it closer to the finish point.

People would have a simple online matchmaking system based on location using GeoIP.

There would be buses that follow a predetermined route through canals, making stops at certain points, but travel slightly faster than a vespa’s average speed. (Adjusted for balance)

Thoughts on how easy a game like this would be to create as a single person with a year of Java experiance, but limited experiance with the engine, on unity? Thoughts on alternative or better AI? [/background][/size][/font] Edited by Al_capwn'd

[quote name='Al_capwn'd' timestamp='1341556611' post='4956233'][font=Arial][size=4][background=transparent]The first follows your route, and wanders when it catches up or loses you. Then, when and if possible, it follows you again.[/background][/size][/font][/quote]
What happens if the player stops? This AI stops too? I know stopping would be dumb, but this AI may be too obvious, especially if the player chooses to wander around. May want to think on something else.

Oh, I intended to fix that by making it wander around if you stopped. And if you notice it, and it annoys you, just lose it by hopping on a water bus.

Unity is a good starting point I think. Getting realistic handling could be challenging, although the trickier aspects only come out at high speed.The AI isn't ideal, but in the interests of getting something done I approve, especially given your level of experience. AI can always be improved later.

The Vespa doesn't thrill me per se, but to each their own. ;)