In how much time you finish a DirectX book?

Started by
7 comments, last by orizvi 11 years, 9 months ago
Ok this is kinda offtopic,but I really wanted to know.It took me more than a month to finish "Introduction to 3d game programming with DirectX 10".And it had about 450 pages.
Advertisement
well the other day I looked up toon shading in introduction to 3d game programming with DirectX 9.
I got this book 9 years ago. took me a while to remember which book had the toon shader in it but.
The point is keep your books for later use.
It depends a lot on the book, and on your free-time. Last Year I got one book on the holiday, I read it in 1 day(it had 800 pages). And last month I read a book on regular days, and that took me forever to read(it was the Knuth V2).
I usually make a quick read of the whole book in like 1-2 days, then again, but the second time trying to really understand everything so it takes like a week.
I do the quick read because it's easier to understand what is being explained by having an idea about what will happen after.
I've never finished one.

You don't "finish" a programming book; it's not something you read like that. It goes on your bookshelf and you constantly pull it out again and refer to specific topics for guidance, inspiration and sanity-checking. I still haven't "finished" my old Herb Schildt TurboC reference from 20+ years ago.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

The more you know about the subject, the quicker it is to finish.

Sometimes you just want to get a different person's perspective, but you are already an expert on the subject.

Sometimes it's a new subject and you have to learn to think differently (the graphics pipeline comes to mind here).
I think that it depend on how you are in programming and math and c++ in general because those are the fundementals for this book and sure they will accelerate your understanding of material not "Reading time" !!
It depends on so many things, including the number of pages, what kind of book is that (for beginners, for experts), how fast can you read, how good you are in learning new stuff, how much do you already know about DirectX, etc etc etc etc.
And last but not least, it also depends on what do you mean by "finish a book". :-)
I've never finished a text book... In fact - I've never even read one from start to finish. There's too much hand holding. I only ever use them for reference if I get stuck or want an intro to something completely new so while I have a whole bookshelf full of programming related books, the most I've probably ever read from any individual book is 3 or 4 chapters.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement