• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

DX11 [DX11] Geometry Shader / Vertex Shader

This topic is 2051 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to generate "bold" line... I have points creating a single line. My idea is to send those points via StructuredBuffer<float2> to GS and there "cook" triangles by calculating displaced vertices from line points
So far I have this done in pixel shader... i send line in structured buffer and than generate triangles and apply "point-in-triangle" test for every "screen-pixel" (i need only 2D case). It works nice... but performnace is of course poor (the longer line is, the slowest it is :))

Idea is to generate triangles in GS and send them to PS. But VS is kind of obsolete... I dont need any output from it... and i dont even have any geometry to send in... how to handle this ?

I know, I can attach NULL vertex buffer and use SV_VertexID... but problem is still the same... i dont have any triangles yet, only line points. I can generate triangles in VS via this, with some "magic" if-ing (can generate only 1-triangle at time, not all of them at once like in GS).
What is better solution and how can it be done with only GS ?

Advertisement
I have two points per line and "normal" vector at those points... I move [x1,y1] and [x2,y2] by +/- [z1,w1] and +/- [z2,w2] to get 4-vertices polygon (2 triangles respectively). I changed points every frame, as the line tracks movement (like trail behind snail :))

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By Stewie.G
      Hi,

I've been trying to implement a basic gaussian blur using the gaussian formula, and here is what it looks like so far:
      float gaussian(float x, float sigma)
      {
          float pi = 3.14159;
          float sigma_square = sigma * sigma;
          float a = 1 / sqrt(2 * pi*sigma_square);
          float b = exp(-((x*x) / (2 * sigma_square)));
          return a * b;
      }
      My problem is that I don't quite know what sigma should be.
      It seems that if I provide a random value for sigma, weights in my kernel won't add up to 1.
      So I ended up calling my gaussian function with sigma == 1, which gives me weights adding up to 1, but also a very subtle blur.
      Here is what my kernel looks like with sigma == 1
              [0]    0.0033238872995488885    
              [1]    0.023804742479357766    
              [2]    0.09713820127276819    
              [3]    0.22585307043511713    
              [4]    0.29920669915475656    
              [5]    0.22585307043511713    
              [6]    0.09713820127276819    
              [7]    0.023804742479357766    
              [8]    0.0033238872995488885    

I would have liked it to be more "rounded" at the top, or a better spread instead of wasting [0], [1], [2] with values bellow 0.1.
      Based on my experiments, the key to this is to provide a different sigma, but if I do, my kernel values no longer adds up to 1, which results to a darker blur.
      I've found this post 
      ... which helped me a bit, but I am really confused with this the part where he divide sigma by 3.
      Can someone please explain how sigma works? How is it related to my kernel size, how can I balance my weights with different sigmas, ect...

• By mc_wiggly_fingers
      Is it possible to asynchronously create a Texture2D using DirectX11?
      I have a native Unity plugin that downloads 8K textures from a server and displays them to the user for a VR application. This works well, but there's a large frame drop when calling CreateTexture2D. To remedy this, I've tried creating a separate thread that creates the texture, but the frame drop is still present.
      Is there anything else that I could do to prevent that frame drop from occuring?
    • By cambalinho
      i'm trying draw a circule using math:
      class coordenates { public: coordenates(float x=0, float y=0) { X = x; Y = y; } float X; float Y; }; coordenates RotationPoints(coordenates ActualPosition, double angle) { coordenates NewPosition; NewPosition.X = ActualPosition.X*sin(angle) - ActualPosition.Y*sin(angle); NewPosition.Y = ActualPosition.Y*cos(angle) + ActualPosition.X*cos(angle); return NewPosition; } but now i know that these have 1 problem, because i don't use the orign.
      even so i'm getting problems on how i can rotate the point.
      these coordinates works between -1 and 1 floating points.
      can anyone advice more for i create the circule?
    • By isu diss
      I managed convert opengl code on http://john-chapman-graphics.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/pseudo-lens-flare.html to hlsl, but unfortunately I don't know how to add it to my atmospheric scattering code (Sky - first image). Can anyone help me?
      I tried to bind the sky texture as SRV and implement lens flare code in pixel shader, I don't know how to separate them (second image)

• By jonwil
      I have some code (not written by me) that is creating a window to draw stuff into using these:
      CreateDXGIFactory1 to create an IDXGIFactory1
      dxgi_factory->CreateSwapChain to create an IDXGISwapChain
      D3D11CreateDevice to create an ID3D11Device and an ID3D11DeviceContext
      Other code (that I dont quite understand) that creates various IDXGIAdapter1 and IDXGIOutput instances
      Still other code (that I dont quite understand) that is creating some ID3D11RenderTargetView and ID3D11DepthStencilView instances and is doing something with those as well (possibly loading them into the graphics context somewhere although I cant quite see where)
      What I want to do is to create a second window and draw stuff to that as well as to the main window (all drawing would happen on the one thread with all the drawing to the sub-window happening in one block and outside of any rendering being done to the main window). Do I need to create a second IDXGISwapChain for my new window? Do I need to create a second ID3D11Device or different IDXGIAdapter1 and IDXGIOutput interfaces? How do I tell Direct3D which window I want to render to? Are there particular d3d11 functions I should be looking for that are involved in this?
      I am good with Direct3D9 but this is the first time I am working with Direct3D11 (and the guy who wrote the code has left our team so I cant ask him for help

• Advertisement