Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rh73

strange problem with Irrlicht and attaching objects to bone nodes.

This topic is 2230 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

I stumbled upon a weird problem using Irrlicht with .X models exported with Blender. The models are animated with armatures/bones. Loading and displaying them works fine. But when I tried attaching child objects to the bones (for example a weapon to the left hand etc) the translations and rotations came out wrong (mirrored along some but not all axises).

After some experiments I found out that when I export the models for a right-handed coordinate system it suddenly works and the child objects are translated and rotated correctly. But since Irrlicht uses a left-handed system now the models and bones are mirrored (left side of the original model is now it's right side). Which is not nice.

Currently I'm trying to figure out if this is a problem with Blender's DirectX exporter or with Irrlicht and what to do about it. I already asked in the Irrlicht forum, but I thought I might as well give it a try here because I assume other devs might have had the same problem. I didn't try it out yet, but I've had the idea to manually regenerate the meshes as left-handed inside Irrlicht and just rename the bones (switch L with R); mirroring the animated armatures inside Blender is not such a big deal. But all this would be just a workaround and I'm looking for a proper solution and also want to find out what's happening. Edited by rh73

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
Will this topic be better off if moved to another section? Like Graphics Programming, maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My best suggestion would be since Irrlicht is open source perhaps you could open up the source code and figure out whats going on, or even flip it using code that way. I think the problem is not too many people are familiar with irrlicht, I used to use it but that was a long time ago. smile.png

I also don't think I ever tried attaching objects to the bones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!