Sign in to follow this  
glhf

Create the game first or the lobby?

So I will start to create my first game now in game maker.. my first "real" game at least. I've done the tutorials and I think I could very easily create any kind of 2D game now like for example sonic or super mario.. game maker is really easy.

But I'm wondering whats best way to do the game... I should start adding networking from the start right? (This will be the biggets challenge I think.
And If I just start with the game.. How do I make the networking because there's no lobby that the players can connect into the game through?
I always prefered the way of starting from the front and working your way to the end (launcher - login - lobby and finally the game). But maybe it's best to work form the end to the start?

Really, Any tips to help me make this first game would be great..

I get that you want to start at that end since you usually see progress faster but then when it comes to actually making the game you "usually" skips the crucial technical parts and just sprint for the fastest possible result.

Thats atleast my experience.

I see you want to use gamemaker (I used it a lot when it was in version 5 and 6), the biggest problem I can imagine with gamemaker are just keeping the
structure with a growing game. I would probably start by creating scripts for networking tasks and syncing objects and testing those before even thinking of a lobby.

[quote name='Kristoffer Lindström' timestamp='1341749710' post='4956906']
I get that you want to start at that end since you usually see progress faster but then when it comes to actually making the game you "usually" skips the crucial technical parts and just sprint for the fastest possible result.

Thats atleast my experience.

I see you want to use gamemaker (I used it a lot when it was in version 5 and 6), the biggest problem I can imagine with gamemaker are just keeping the
structure with a growing game. I would probably start by creating scripts for networking tasks and syncing objects and testing those before even thinking of a lobby.
[/quote]

So you recommend starting from begining (launcher)?
And what doyou mean keeping the structure with a growing game?
Do you know any good tutorials for 39dll?

I think 39dll is what i will use for networking [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

EDIT:
How do you make an updater?
I was thinking of having the luancher check for any updates for the game..
Is it just done by matching the version number of the client and if it's not the newest one then the game starts to download all the new files from a ftp server?
Also how do you mean it only download the new files? Edited by glhf

[quote name='glhf' timestamp='1341748454' post='4956899']
And If I just start with the game.. How do I make the networking because there's no lobby that the players can connect into the game through?
[/quote]
There's a flip side to that coin... If you start with the networking, how do you it's working if you don't have a game to test it with?
I'd make the game first, get a map working, put a player in it, then when you are ready add a second player and at that point start worrying with the networking.