Sign in to follow this  

[DirectX 11] internal error: argument pulled into unrelated predicate

This topic is 1986 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am getting this error on my pixel shader.
Here is my shader (lack of comments because it is machine-generated).

[CODE]
SamplerState lsg_SamplerBiLinearRepeat : register( s0 ) {Filter = MIN_MAG_LINEAR_MIP_POINT;AddressU = WRAP;AddressV = WRAP;};
Texture2D g_sSampler2dTex0 : register( t0 );
cbuffer cb0 : register( b0 ) {
vector<float, 4> g_vDiffuseMaterial : packoffset( c0.x );
vector<float, 4> g_vSpecularMaterial : packoffset( c1.x );
};

struct LSE_COLOR_PAIR {
vector<float, 4> cDiffuse;
vector<float, 4> cSpecular;
};

void Main( in vector<float, 3> _vInNormal : NORMAL0, in vector<float, 2> _vIn2dTex0 : TEXCOORD2, in vector<float, 4> _vInPos : SV_POSITION0, in vector<float, 4> _vInEyePos : TEXCOORD1, out vector<float, 4> _vOutColor : SV_Target0 ) {
vector<float, 4> vColorTemp;

vector<float, 3> vNormalizedNormal = normalize( _vInNormal );

vector<float, 4> vViewPosToEye = -normalize( _vInEyePos );

LSE_COLOR_PAIR cpLightColors = {
vector<float, 4>( 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 ),
vector<float, 4>( 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 )
};

vColorTemp = g_sSampler2dTex0.Sample( lsg_SamplerBiLinearRepeat, _vIn2dTex0 );

_vOutColor.xyz = (vColorTemp.xyz * vColorTemp.xyz);

_vOutColor = vector<float, 4>( (_vOutColor.xyz * g_vDiffuseMaterial.xyz), vColorTemp.w );

_vOutColor.w *= ((((1.0 / abs( dot( vViewPosToEye.xyz, vNormalizedNormal ))) - 1.0) * 0.1333) + 1.0);

_vOutColor.w = min( _vOutColor.w, 1.0 );
if( _vOutColor.w <= 0.10000000000000001 ) {
discard;
return;
}

_vOutColor.xyz = ((_vOutColor.xyz * cpLightColors.cDiffuse.xyz) + (g_vSpecularMaterial * cpLightColors.cSpecular).xyz);

_vOutColor = max( _vOutColor, vector<float, 4>( 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 ) );
}[/CODE]

I don’t see what is causing this error. Looks like a fairly standard shader.
Any ideas?

L. Spiro

I've never seen that error before, but it seems to be caused that return in the if statement. If I remove that it compiles fine, even if I move the subsequent code into an else block. In general I tend to have problems with the compiler when I try to put in a mid-function return statement, so I try to avoid doing that.

That would explain why it is basically [b]only[/b] my transparent objects that are not being displayed in DirectX 11. Thank you for that however I have a follow-up question.

I know that discard is usually to be avoided, especially on machines such as iOS, but at the level of shader model 5 I would expect discard not to be so serious and a mid-function return to actually be an early-out, and thus possibly help save some cycles.
Assuming it actually compiles, is there any benefit from a return early in the life of the shader? I know that previous models would often still execute the whole shader so it made no difference back then, but that was a long time ago.

And speaking of optimizations, at one point I had to rearrange the order of my vertex shader outputs to make them the same order as the pixel shader inputs. This was not necessary in DirectX 9 (nor in OpenGL 3.2 or OpenGL ES 2). Is there a performance penalty in DirectX 9 when these are not in the same order (or asked another way, is there a gain when they are in the same order)?

L. Spiro

I'm not sure if you need to branch to fully stop execution of shader that hits a discard, or if the hardware will stop it anyway. I haven't done any extensive performance tests to see if it's worth it or not.

As for VS outputs/PS inputs, I know that on recent AMD hardware the the VS outputs will get loaded into LDS (on-chip shared memory) and the pixel shader will read those values and perform interpolation based on the pixel position. This essentially means that the address of each input parameter is hard-coded into the shader program, which makes sense given that D3D10/D3D11 requires that the parameter ordering matches between VS and PS stages. I'm not sure how they handle the D3D9 case where the ordering doesn't have to match...I suspect that they probably patch the pixel shader at runtime based on the vertex shader that's bound when you issue the Draw call.

This topic is 1986 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.