Weekly Discussion on RPG Genre's flaws [Week 3 : Attrition]

Started by
31 comments, last by Orymus3 11 years, 9 months ago

That said, I see how it can apply to changing monsters every so often, but I don't see how it correlates to attrition per se.
Care to elaborate?

It's not related in any direct way. That was a comment about ways to figure out how long is long enough. If you set the target at 30 minutes and a battle lasts 2 minutes, then you should aim to have at most 15 encounters before progression. That can then be used to figure out the dungeon length, encounter rate and encounter danger level.
Developer for Novus Dawn : a [s]Flash[/s] Unity Isometric Tactical RPG - Forums - Facebook - DevLog
Advertisement
I'm leaning towards preset encounters ala Chrono Trigger myself, as I believe they, not only allow you to control that flow, but more importantly allow to make it more realistic and give player choices (encounter or not).
Note that I will not make a weekly discussion about random vs scripted encounters as I have yet to see someone that'S convinced that random encounters are genuinely better...
New Week:
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/627898-weekly-discussion-on-rpg-genres-flaws-week-4-exploration/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement