learning game development

Started by
23 comments, last by Kiel368 11 years, 9 months ago
What is the best way to learn game development?
I know its a broad question, but should i first learn a programming language such as Java, or should i learn to use something like Unity?

Thanks.
Advertisement
Learn a programming language first, especially if you intend to go further into game development. Unity is only one game engine... theirs tons of other ones you will have at your disposal if you can program.

Learn a programming language first, especially if you intend to go further into game development. Unity is only one game engine... theirs tons of other ones you will have at your disposal if you can program.

Thanks. Is there any language that you would recommend i start with? I already started learning some Java in college, so i was thinking about learning from there, or is there something else i should learn?
Python is good, but if you already started with Java, I'd suggest sticking with it - it's an equally good choice. You should stick with Java for a few years. Learning any language deeply is more important than learning "the right language". Eventually, you'll want to learn multiple languages, using the right language for the right job - but when starting out, any language that you are capable of understanding is the best language for any job you are capable of undertaking.

Go deep in Java before branching out to other languages. When you do branch out, because of your deepness in Java, you'll find other languages much easier to understand.

Python is good, but if you already started with Java, I'd suggest sticking with it - it's an equally good choice. You should stick with Java for a few years. Learning any language deeply is more important than learning "the right language". Eventually, you'll want to learn multiple languages, using the right language for the right job - but when starting out, any language that you are capable of understanding is the best language for any job you are capable of undertaking.

Go deep in Java before branching out to other languages. When you do branch out, because of your deepness in Java, you'll find other languages much easier to understand.

I did try python a while back, but for some reason i just couldnt get into it and enjoy it like i do with Java.
Does anyone know any good books to learn java from?
Thanks for the help :)
I recommend C++ but I'm biased. Have only recently started to appreciate the beauty of it. I don't know Java but I have a feeling it's bloatware and slow just from hearsay so I really don't know if I'm wrong about it.

I recommend C++ but I'm biased. Have only recently started to appreciate the beauty of it. I don't know Java but I have a feeling it's bloatware and slow just from hearsay so I really don't know if I'm wrong about it.

Hearsay is a bad way to form an opinion on a language. And no programming language I've ever heard of tries to be deliberately slow.

[quote name='Fredericvo' timestamp='1341791205' post='4957077']

Hearsay is a bad way to form an opinion on a language. And no programming language I've ever heard of tries to be deliberately slow.
[/quote]I don't think I said it was deliberate.
Without getting into a language war, I think Java, C++ or C# are all excellent choices, I really don't like Java's debugging capabilities though. Personally I found C++ the most versatile and useable as a beginner.
I would suggest C# - kinda more fun and motivating to have some GUI easily available.

Don't know how that is done in Java. Only used it for small console apps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement