Sign in to follow this  
Shikamaru

What options do I have?

Shikamaru    129
Ok so i'm a decent(in my mind) C# programmer although I'm not that good. I learned C# through reading books and using the language with the Unity Game Engine API. It might sound kinda silly but I learn by doing and unity gave me the chance to use my knowedge to produce something. if i could think of it I tried it. But this topic is not about unity or C# its about C++ I have a few books on this subject and i'm ready to learn, keep in mind i learned the C++ syntax awhile back never used the language for anything other than a console text program so I forgot most of it but i remember stuff like cin and cout and the format of loops.. i'll need to brush up on arrays and such so i'm going to start everything over and leave C# behind but like i said my approach is different because I learn better by using a toolset such as an game engine API. So my question is:

Is there some sort of Game Engine i can use to learn other than a Graphic Engine API? If not I will take the complicated route but I'd like to take advantage of anything I can while learning this beast.. Edited by Shikamaru

Pashbee    246
As far as I know, you can use C++ for the Unreal Development Kit, which is quite popular. I think the free version doesnt support it from what I read somewhere but there is a way of binding C++ libraries into UDK. I hear gamekit is alright as well. Maybe take a look at those two?

UDK is popular on moddb.com etc, programmers are always in demand.

Cornstalks    7030
You've got lots of options. If you're going 2D, I'd recommend [url="http://www.sfml-dev.org/"]SFML[/url]. If you're going 3D, there's plenty of options but I haven't actually used any of the 3D ones, so I can't comment there.

Shikamaru    129
I'd start with 2d because its more simple than 3D. I know playing with the directX API but its not made for c++ its universal and i need something to help me focus on C++

As for UDK my computer cant handle it got a 1.9ghz and it lags UDK... Edited by Shikamaru