• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

A question regarding polar decomposition

This topic is 2080 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all, this is my first post here, I hope not the last, and I have a problem regarding polar decomposition.
I understand how it works and that it can compute the rotation and scale, and I am aware that these are the rotation and the scale that are the best guess of the algorithm and I'm cool with it.
But when I try to calculate a scale matrix from a matrix M, that has a lot of transformations stored in it, like, a lots of rotations, scales and shears, and God knows in what order are those applied, I can't get the matrix that looks like a scale matrix or even reminds of it. I can get the rotation matrix, for which I know that it is not the original rotation, but the "guessed" rotation.

Let me give you an example:
I have a rotation, scale and a shear (skew) matrices:

R = [ 0.86603 -0.5; 0.5 0.86603 ]
Scale = [ 2 0; 0 3 ]
Shear = [ 1 0.3; 0.6 1 ]

And if I apply them like this:

M = Shear * Scale * R

and run the left polar decomposition on the matrix M that calculates M = Scale * Rotation i get these results:

Rotation = [ 0.80028 -0.59962; 0.59962 0.80028 ] I checked, and this is rotation matrix
Scale = [ 1.8785 1.1319; 1.1319 3.1573 ]

and if I run the right polar decomposition I get these results:

Rotation = [ 0.80028 -0.59962; 0.59962 0.80028 ]
Scale = [ 3.42462 0.93162; 0.93162 1.61125 ]

As you can see none of those Scale matrices from left or right polar decomposition is a real scale matrix or even close to one.
Is that because the shear transformation is applied, or is it something else that I am missing?
I would really appreciate if someone could shine some light for me on this one.

Note: I computed these matrices using Octave and my own implemetation of the polar decomposition algorithm just to be safe that the results are valid.
Best regards! Edited by pivonroll

OK, I found out that in case of the polar decomposition where M = Rotation * S, matrix S can be thought of as the matrix that is the result of Scale * Shear ( S = Scale * Shear ). This is true if matrix S is not diagonal matrix, or in other words if S is not a scale matrix.
Decomposition of matrix S to matrices Scale and Shear can be done using this algorithm:

If matrix S can be presented as:

s11 s12
s21 s22

then scale matrix is:

s11 0
0 s22

and shear matrix is:

1 s12/s11
s21/s22 1

So matrix M can be presented as M = Rotation * Scale * Shear.
You can see that I have used the right polar decomposition for this solution. Edited by pivonroll

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement