• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Narf the Mouse

What's the best way to do "swappable geometry"?

This topic is 2348 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Looking for information on swapping/changing mesh geometry for scrolling terrain. The method(s) have to work in DirectX 9+.

Thanks. Edited by Narf the Mouse

Advertisement
Are you talking about paging terrain data? I'm not quite sure what you mean by "for scrolling terrain." Do you mean what's the best way to page in terrain geometry for a terrain that the camera is moving over?

If you are, then check out this page for papers. I think in particular you would be interested in "Chunked LOD".

Are you talking about paging terrain data? I'm not quite sure what you mean by "for scrolling terrain." Do you mean what's the best way to page in terrain geometry for a terrain that the camera is moving over?

If you are, then check out this page for papers. I think in particular you would be interested in "Chunked LOD".

Not quite sure what you mean by "paging", but that sounds like what I'm looking for.

Paging just refers to the way that you stream in "pages" of data. Basically you want to have a background thread that monitors the location / velocity of the camera, and fetches data from the disc that the user will need according to the camera movement. If you want to see an open source example, OGRE has a Paging Landscape Scene Manager which is quite nice.

Paging just refers to the way that you stream in "pages" of data. Basically you want to have a background thread that monitors the location / velocity of the camera, and fetches data from the disc that the user will need according to the camera movement. If you want to see an open source example, OGRE has a Paging Landscape Scene Manager which is quite nice.

Ah; I checked Wikipedia, but that definition seemed too specific.

I've got the Chunked LOD .pdf open in my to-do.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!