Setting up for a team project

Started by
19 comments, last by Inuyashakagome16 11 years, 9 months ago

[quote name='Inuyashakagome16' timestamp='1341943370' post='4957689']
Okay so really what i was asking about was SVN, Git or Hg. Tortoise is just a tool to help make that process easier. smile.png Okay I understand that now. After looking it up it seems pretty simple to get into. I've just gotta setup a GIT / local server of some kind and I'll set Tortoise with it.

At work we use https://bitbucket.org/ for our git repositories, it works great. (Allthough cloning large repos can be a bit slow and its only free for up to 5 users)
[/quote]
I was going to ask if it was private but it seems it already is. :o That's awesome and it's free which makes it easy. :P It's only going to be 3 people so I don't think I'd new a pro version anyway. That's awesome thanks for the link!
Advertisement
I can personally give recommendations for both bitbucket and assembla (who are a site affiliate here, it seems). Used both, had no issues, enjoyed the communication tools for working with up to 5 other people on projects (to include my CS capstone course project).

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

I can personally give recommendations for both bitbucket and assembla (who are a site affiliate here, it seems). Used both, had no issues, enjoyed the communication tools for working with up to 5 other people on projects (to include my CS capstone course project).

I wish i knew about both of those when i had my capstone :P Would have made it much easier. We didn't use anything, not even dropbox. Wasn't very well planned sadly.
You can just download git or svn and use the command-line. Some other third-party software enable most of these commands as GUI buttons integrated within the explorer(RabbitCVS/Tortoise etc).

Personally I like using the command-line because it pulls you out of being dependent on the OS. We have installed both of them on our server for private use because we didn't want our code uploaded on an external server.

[size=1]I "surf" the web, literally.

You know that Getting VS 2011 and Vs 2012 is easy not hard to get it

You can just download github or svn and use the command-line. Some other third-party software enable most of these commands as GUI buttons integrated within the explorer(RabbitCVS/Tortoise etc).

Personally I like using the command-line because it pulls you out of being dependent on the OS. We have installed both of them on our server for private use because we didn't want our code uploaded on an external server.

Really, that sounds much better than the GUI at this point lmao. I feel like that's probably better just incase I even end up moving platforms. :P

I'm not sure where you going with that statement, care to explain? Because I don't plan on obtaining it illegally.
I recommend git if you have the choice. Here's a resource that can get your started on using it with commands. It might feel slow when you begin, but eventually it becomes second nature.

http://cworth.org/hgbook-git/tour/

Here is the official website just in case.

http://git-scm.com/

[size=1]I "surf" the web, literally.

I recommend git if you have the choice. Here's a resource that can get your started on using it with commands. It might feel slow when you begin, but eventually it becomes second nature.

http://cworth.org/hgbook-git/tour/

Here is the official website just in case.

http://git-scm.com/

Thanks! I actually got started a bit tonight! Doesn't seem that hard to get into. :D Thanks
Ok just to throw another one in there Perforce isn't awe full either and comes with a VS plugin and an IDE, but is sadly a paid for solution but one that is used in a lot of places in the industry.

I found setting up the initial repositories and server far easier than doing the same for a SVN, but that might also just be because I work daily with perforce and not any of the others.

A proper standalone IDE for SVN is rapidsvn btw and it is decent to work with.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

Awekingster, on 10 July 2012 - 07:38 PM, said:

I'm not sure where you going with that statement, care to explain? Because I don't plan on obtaining it illegally.

I am not sure what he was refering to but there are several ways for people to get legitimate copies of all Microsoft's software for free if you know where to look. We have been a member of their [Microsoft] programs for some time and have all the updated versions of everything we use and some not commercially released software. It is all free to startup companies set up by Microsoft to help get you up and running. There are also other services they offer to program members for free as well.

edited to add spaces on run together words.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement