Why Game Programming?

Started by
21 comments, last by Fredericvo 11 years, 9 months ago
hi .
I have worked DirectX 9 ,10 , and lately 11. and I'm writing a game engine.(for about 2 years worked on AI , cullings, shaders,animations,BSP trees,.... and still working)
some day I readed this link :
http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2011/12/17/why-on-earth-would-we-write-our-own-game-engine/
I love Game programming.
But
When we look at Unity or UDK , they exactly do whatever we want.
so why should I write a game or game engine from scratch?
and will my DirectX knowledge be useful?
Where can I use DirectX?
please help me. I really think that I have made mistake .
Advertisement
I think you really have to ask yourself the questions. Why are you making the game? Is it cause you enjoy the creation, what part of that do you enjoy? Are you making sample work to get a job? At the end of the day it is upto you to know why you should be programming or just scripting in an engine etc

Personaly I enjoy programming, I know that I cannot make anything near as good as a profesional engine but thats not why I am doing it. I have tried using stuff like Unity and its very quick to put together something but in a sense I find this takes away some of the enjoyment for me. At the end of the day would you say I shouldn't make a fps game because I could never match the quality of battlefield or call of duty, no I would still do it because I wanted to enjoy the experiance.

If your wanting to get into the industry and are working on sample work then you will need to create your game with the methods you would expect to use in the job you would go for to show you can do it. For example if you wanted to be a graphics programmer I would focus your effects on showing what you can do in directx.
I find it strange that you have been working on an engine for 2 years and this is the first time this question popped up in your mind, since this is probably one of the first things you should realize when getting the idea of rolling your own engine.

Yes, there are some very high quality engines and tools freely available for anyone to use, and yes they're probably way better than what one person or a small team of hobbyists could build. Does this mean that rolling your own engine is a complete waste of time?
Honestly, I don't believe so, as long as the person or the people building the engine are at the experience level to actually pull it off (someone who has absolutely no idea of what he/she is doing will not gain anything from the process).

There are enough reasons for wanting to write your own engine. For some people it will be curiosity or a test of their own technical skills; maybe they've been pondering over a certain design or a certain novel technique they want to implement. For others it might be an actual drive to build something they can publish and which can compete with the technology that's already out there.

If your goal is to actually write a game then starting with building an engine was probably not the right choice (and based on your post I have a feeling that this is the case), and it'd be best to pick an available tool for the job.
You should also remember that you don't actually need a stand-alone engine to write a game. What you'd call the engine (ie. rendering, audio, scene management, etc.) could perfectly be part of the game code itself so you don't need to break your head about writing a general purpose solution to these things as would be expected of a stand-alone solution.

I gets all your texture budgets!

hi .
I have worked DirectX 9 ,10 , and lately 11. and I'm writing a game engine.(for about 2 years worked on AI , cullings, shaders,animations,BSP trees,.... and still working)
some day I readed this link :
http://www.altdevblo...wn-game-engine/
I love Game programming.
But
When we look at Unity or UDK , they exactly do whatever we want.
so why should I write a game or game engine from scratch?
and will my DirectX knowledge be useful?
Where can I use DirectX?
please help me. I really think that I have made mistake .

Knowing DX doesn't hurt even if you use Unity, you'll still most likely need custom shaders (i don't know what UDK ships with but Unitys stock shader collection is fairly boring) and knowledge is never worthless. (With Unity Pro you can inject your own low level rendering code aswell if you need to do something special)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
thank you so much.
for a while I wasn't listening to people who disagreed with writing a new game or game engine.
reading http://www.altdevblo...wn-game-engine/ forced me think more.
now I may continue working DirectX.
what do you guys think about Industry?
what path do you suggest me to walk on?
should I focus on game engines , or only DirectX , or both?

thank you so much.
for a while I wasn't listening to people who disagreed with writing a new game or game engine.
reading http://www.altdevblo...wn-game-engine/ forced me think more.
now I may continue working DirectX.
what do you guys think about Industry?
what path do you suggest me to walk on?

If you are doing it to learn then you should experiment with a lot of things, write some tech demos with DirectX and/or OpenGL, Write a few games using various third party engines (Even if your goal is to become an engine programmer it helps a lot to have seen how the popular commercial engines work), Try to integrate a scripting language in your own from scratch game, etc.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

If you are doing it to learn then you should experiment with a lot of things, write some tech demos with DirectX and/or OpenGL, Write a few games using various third party engines (Even if your goal is to become an engine programmer it helps a lot to have seen how the popular commercial engines work), Try to integrate a scripting language in your own from scratch game, etc.

thank you guys.
so condition is not too bad.
just I should change some views.
I think I can continue LIVING!!
When we look at Unity or UDK, they exactly do whatever we want.[/quote]

You must have some sick desires... but seriously, I strongly disagree with that. biggrin.png
You can name a lot of features they might have that apparently suite your purposes, but they could be largely different from how you want them. I've seen many games made with these tools (Unity, UDK, C4 etc.), and by my judgement upon the quality of their features while applied between a variety games, I'm very happy to roll out my own customized utility and core software. Apparently, many aspiring game developers who utilize these tools do not have the maturity in game development to deeply comprehend the quality of a certain implementation when reflected upon a certain application. I'm never really pleased when I see an engine so re-purposed. I heard the UE4 framework will be much more C++ oriented, and I'd say that this is the reason.
There are only two reasons a person writes an engine:

1. For the love of the art
2. Somebody is paying you to do so.

Good lucj
Writing your engine is one thing but building a game is actually even more difficult. What is not being said here is that being a lone wolf programmer is pointless in this day and age, and that's probably right. Anyway, I'll just add one more to the list...

3. You're crazy.
--bart

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement