Alternative minecraft

Started by
105 comments, last by bvanevery 9 years, 11 months ago
Hi!
Recently I played minecraft a bit. I really loved the game, but it had many disadvantages.I immediatelly thought that voxel game is sth. for me. So, my final thought was:
YOU CAN'T CHANGE STH WRITE YOUR OWN.
I've already written voxel engine, everything works nice, but I don't want this game to be a complete clone of minecraft.
So now, question to you:
What would you change in Minecraft?
Have you got a better idea for a voxel terrain game?
And finally: Do you have any idea for name of the game?
Please write.
Thank you.

If the game succeed, I'd be greatful to everyone, who wrote an answer. :-)

P.S:I'm very interested in changing terrain materials a bit, but I want terrain to be realistic and not cloned from Minecraft.
Advertisement
Me personally in minecraft its all the same. Materials that you mine all seem the same as in red stone, lapis lazuli, diamond, iron, coal, etc all have the same block design, just different colors. My suggestion is to really set them apart from each other. Instead of it be all blocks change up the formats and make it so that its not just all 3d blocks. Cylidrical blocks, square blocks, rectangular blocks, all of these to me would make the game unique.

Honestly you don't really need a name till its say in the beta stages just for the fact that you wouldn't want to create the game around the name.

Just my two cents, I would love to see this topic go far :)
Thanks, i'll think about it, but it's not very easy to make diffrent blocks in a 3darray, but maybe it's possible.
So, now we have 1 good idea! smile.png

Now some of my own ideas:
-When the game becomes a little bit larger, add a campaign. (I read that Minecraft adventure mode is going to be silly)
-Global server with user-created maps
-Components: You can build sth in freebuild (creative) and when put on survival map as a set of semi-transparent blocks, to see where to place particular voxels.

I liked your idea about diffrent blocks types. So the player will be able to place, apart from big blocks, smaller and fe triangular.

Write, what do you think and keep coming with ideas!biggrin.png
Oh believe me I understand :) I will keep brainstorming ideas and post them here, because I am a lover of minecraft, but the design gets me bored very easily sometimes haha.
I thought a bit about these diffrent shaped blocks. It is possible to do and I have some ideas to make them useful.

Now, thinking like a game engine programmer:
The game will have 2 main advantages. It will be fully cross-platform and very easy to mod, becouse i'm planning to write it in webGL, that is supported by the latest browsers. And it of course it brings about writing it in JavaScript, so it will be rather a hardcore challange.

By the way, do you know any sites about advanced javascript, which may be useful for this game?
I thought so, and you are correct it can and will be a daunting task to complete but no pain no gain :)

http://www.jsmadeeasy.com/javascripts/Games/list_test.asp this has tutorials relating to games, but with all the code I would pick and choose what examples would work best for this type of building game.

http://www.good-tutorials.com/tutorials/javascript/advanced-topics this has an advanced guide on almost everything so a quick look through you should find a lot of useful info.
If you are actually planning on doing this game I would definitely like to help. I am new to programming but I have a good base in object c# c++ javascript html and css. Remember I'm no expert :)
I would have hoped the physics and gameplay be more realistic. As in, placing blocks takes time, restraints on where you can place them, gathering stuff might not be possible due to environment (1000 tons of stone on top of the base of a castle, no mining castle base for you), limit to block carrying capacity.

Of course it would require stuff like carts to move blocks around, or on multiplayer other players or npc's to help you. I just thought the player has too much power in how he can edit the world, i want to be able to make a castle where people cant just dig in in seconds or make a pile of dirt to climb over the walls...

o3o

I also thought to make my game more realistic. Thanks for the tip!
JonBMN, it's good idea you to help me, but I don't know when exacly I'll begin programming the game stuff. For now, i'm collecting ideas from users and making a list. I'll place it here and everyone will be able to write his/her own idea.

I'm planning the first version of the game to be like "Minecraft classic" and then develop it.

P.S: Do you have any knowlegde about voxel generation alghorytms, becouse i can only generate a simple hill landscape. sad.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement