• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kiel368

Alternative minecraft

106 posts in this topic

Iron Chef, I think you've truly hit the point home on the grinding. After you set yourself up (and by set yourself up, I mean, you don't even have to build a house. Just dig a cave, make some charcoal, and you're set.), all you do is grind and grind. It becomes so mundane that sometimes, I put on something on Netflix and go dig in straight lines in my cave to get some cobble stone to keep building. I wish the game was like Nazi Zombies where they can bust into your house in some number of ways and they come after you deliberately every night, not only when they see you. That would be pretty awesome.

I think one key to a different feel is making it so "heaps of digging" != success. If that were true humanity would live underground. It's effectively overpowered for most styles of games. Now if digging deeper than a couple of metres was well-nigh impossible in most places, useful stuff was very rare, exploring underground was dangerous and caves were somewhat "porous" to creatures with different body types than yourself (e.g. small or can cling to ceiiling)... it would be more balanced. You could dig traps or a moat to give you some advantage over monsters (but not an impregnable castle), you could go on dangerous exploration missions underground, you could hide from larger creatures in caves, but not do the excesses. Maybe go guerilla warfare, e.g. you can craft interesting ways to kill the enemy, but build any structure too big and they'll be swarming all over you.

I decided to make normal voxels 1x1x1, breakable into 8x8x8 which makes 512 (of course allow terrain generator to use smaller blocks). It is actually possible (with LOD), and with good saving alghorytm, it's even possible to save.
Other ideas i liked:
-Shader effects
-Safe game at the beginning, becoming harder
-Monsters breaking through blocks to kill you
-Player is not able to dig deeper than a couple of meters in the beginning.
-Take some ideas from Minecraft Mods
Thanks for all. Project status: Will be started next week. Edited by Kiel368

[quote name='Kiel368' timestamp='1342157733' post='4958651']
-Player is not able to dig deeper than a couple of meters in the beginning.
[/quote]

Base this on the tool the player is using.

instead of a world constructed only from stone, make lower blocks of harder material, so the player will be forced to upgrade his/her tools to dig that blocks.

Maybe i'll made regional stone, meaning particular biom is connected with particular type of stone.

Dont make a limit to dig depth, but make it more realistic. In real life digging is slowww, you got to take the stone and dirt somewhere, have supports, supply of air, watch out for water leaking in and so on.

What's about a very different block system? Like a fuel stand or kilogram...

For example:
You can have 1 kg Sand, but to transport it you need a bin, for a bin you need 5 kg iron. Iron is only available as ore.
For 5 kg iron you need 7 kg Ore and fire... For fire you need etc...

I think kg or something similar is a good choice, because it would be really "easy" to implement half blocks or different blocks like triangles. Also it makes it more independet from the blocks himself.

But there is a big problem... I think many people don't like something mathematical like kilogramm.

With Triangle blocks you could also implement good transports like cars.. [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

Wish you luck for your project!

PS: I also had the same idea one year ago... but stopped because it would be only a minecraft clone [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png[/img] Edited by omercan

[quote name='omercan' timestamp='1342203175' post='4958853']
What's about a very different block system? Like a fuel stand or kilogram...

For example:
You can have 1 kg Sand, but to transport it you need a bin, for a bin you need 5 kg iron. Iron is only available as ore.
For 5 kg iron you need 7 kg Ore and fire... For fire you need etc...

I think kg or something similar is a good choice, because it would be really "easy" to implement half blocks or different blocks like triangles. Also it makes it more independet from the blocks himself.

But there is a big problem... I think many people don't like something mathematical like kilogramm.

With Triangle blocks you could also implement good transports like cars.. [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

Wish you luck for your project!

PS: I also had the same idea one year ago... but stopped because it would be only a minecraft clone [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png[/img]
[/quote]

You have a great idea, but to me if your going to try and play a real life version. You should at least take the time to learn a little math and become that much more immersed. Props

I believe, when i collect a set of great ideas, and make the game realistic it will be almost nothing like minecraft. [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/cool.png[/img]

[quote name='Kiel368' timestamp='1342206518' post='4958869']
I believe, when i collect a set of great ideas, and make the game realistic it will be almost nothing like minecraft. [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/cool.png[/img]
[/quote]

Hehe yes [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.png[/img]

[quote]You have a great idea, but to me if your going to try and play a real life version. You should at least take the time to learn a little math and become that much more immersed. Props[/quote]

You are maybe right... I only thought many kids (between 10 and 14/16) don't really like Math (I know many people like that ;) ), but this was only my opinion :D

I also have a "good" story but it does not handle humans like Steve from Minecraft and contains no fantasy, more normal adventure without something like magic and sci-fi.

Unfortunately I can not write it down here, I just have not enough time :)

Regards
omercan

Just one thought, create a mod API, please.

this is the major flaw of minecraft. you can't implement every single idea, but other people can.

[quote]

You are maybe right... I only thought many kids (between 10 and 14/16) don't really like Math (I know many people like that ;) ), but this was only my opinion [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png[/img]

I also have a "good" story but it does not handle humans like Steve from Minecraft and contains no fantasy, more normal adventure without something like magic and sci-fi.

Unfortunately I can not write it down here, I just have not enough time [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

Regards
omercan
[/quote]

Very true, but at the same time if you were to implement the math, which don't get me wrong, I didn't like math very much for years. When it came to games though, I would enjoy it because it actually relates to something. Your not just sitting in a classroom going over algebraic equations just to learn them. Could have just been me, but I feel like a lot of kids are like that.

Yes you are right JonBMN, some of my friends hate math but if it is useful they love it. I think this is the normal way of life...

A good mod api is on my mind one of the important parts of the game! Make it modable and maybe use XML for nearly everything!

Sorry for not using quotes currently, currently I use my PSP and it is horrible to talk in the web [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png[/img]

Yes you are right JonBMN, some of my friends hate math but if it is useful they love it. I think this is the normal way of life...

A good mod api is on my mind one of the important parts of the game! Make it modable and maybe use XML for nearly everything!

Sorry for not using quotes currently, currently I use my PSP and it is horrible to talk in the web [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png[/img]

Sorry for no posts from three days, but i wasn't able to write, becouse i wasn't able to use my connection.

Anyway, I think easily installed mods and official mod server, mods created by XML are very good ideas, but remember that there is only me (now) and i probably won't be able to handle all this in a single version, so the first version will be very basic.

P.S.:It's possible that i'll start working on this game tomorrow (2012-07-16).

only you? i'm seeing lots of people ready to help on this thread, including me [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png[/img]

as of the mod API, XML would limit much of the power of the API, maybe it'll be good to describe new blocks, but to describe new functionality it would just plain suck...

in what language you are going to program this? plain old C++?

well, C# has a extensibility framework (the Managed Extensibility Framework - A.K.A. [b]MEF[/b]) that makes writing plugins as easy as writing a hello world program, for both ends. I don't know if C++ has something like that though [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/sad.png[/img]

You don't need to have all features in the first release :)
It is one of your goals... use it for motivation... :D

I'm not going to write it in c++, becouse it is old.
I'm have already written voxel engine in c#, but c# is incompatible with Android, PS and so on.

[b]I'm going to write it using WebGL and JavaScript with HTML5.[/b]
This game [b]must [/b]work on every mobile device and every computer.

P.S:This is my first serious project in WebGL, so it'd take some time until the initial version is ready.

[quote name='Wikipedia']
Mozilla Firefox - WebGL has been enabled on all platforms that have a capable graphics card with updated drivers since version 4.0.[12] Mozilla Firefox 8.0 and newer versions use Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) to control all WebGL cross-domain textures.[13][14]
Google Chrome - WebGL has been enabled on all platforms that have a capable graphics card with updated drivers since version 9.[15] Google Chrome 13.0 and newer versions use Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) to control all WebGL cross-domain textures.[16]
Safari - Safari 5.1 and newer versions installed on Mac OS X Lion and Mac OS X Snow Leopard implemented support for WebGL, which is disabled by default.[17][18][19][20][21]
Opera - WebGL has been implemented in Opera 11 and 12.[22][23]
Internet Explorer - Microsoft has not announced any plans to support WebGL. The Chrome Frame and IEWebGL[24] plugins provide options to add support for WebGL to Internet Explorer 6.0 and newer versions, although these plugins are not supported or endorsed by Microsoft.

Mobile Browsers
Nokia N900 - WebGL is available in the stock microB browser from the PR1.2 firmware update onwards.[25]
BlackBerry PlayBook - WebGL is available via WebWorks and browser in PlayBook OS 2.0[26]
Firefox for mobile - WebGL is available for Android devices in unstable builds since early 2011.[27]
The Sony Ericsson Xperia range of Android smartphones have had WebGL capabilities following a firmware upgrade.[28]
Opera Mobile 12 final supports WebGL (on Android only).[29]
[/quote]

well, maybe not [b]every[/b] device and computer... you are going to have a hard time with this, but if this will be written in javascript, then Mods won't be a problem...

EDIT: included the mobile browsers... i'm not seeing the iphone on the list... Edited by Mito

[quote name='Kiel368' timestamp='1342430206' post='4959518']
This game [b]must [/b]work on every mobile device and every computer.
[/quote]

I think you're holding yourself back with that statement. A computer can handle much more than a mobile device. If you aim to have an identical experience across all platforms then the computer version won't stack up well against other computer offerings.

I would recommend you take another look at C# though. Using c# gives you Windows and Xbox platforms right off the start, and Mono (open source implementation of c#) has been ported to iOS and Android.

mono doesn't implement the XNA nor DirectX APIs... the solution here is to have one code base for each device, each on the devices native language of choice. objective C for IPhone, Java for Android and C++/C# for windows and Xbox. if you want to target MAC and linux, the PC version would be better in JAVA, but JAVA is really slow for this application... the WebGL one can't rely on Javascript for the game logic, it's too slow and implementation dependent.

My suggestion? do a multiplayer version. Plain and simple. This way you can use the server for the heavy processing and WebGL for the client.

another problem would be the inputs. you can't just put mobile devices in the same baseline as PC/MAC. Mouse and keyboard are much better for this type of game than touch or Gamepads. Have you Played Minecraft on the xbox? it's much harder to do anything.