Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Android Bitmap Quality

This topic is 2343 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Hi all, recently I've been trying my hand at some Java and Android development.
However, no matter what I try I just can't seem to get a level of image quality that I would be happy with for the sprites in the game.

I've had issues with banding showing with subtle colour transitions on background images and imprecise pixel positioning on both my android device and emulator.. below is an image compared with the original that demonstrates what I mean (though in this case the banding isn't so bad).


There seems to be some sort of filtering and and scaling going on which apparently I have no control over (which is why I'm here tongue.png)
So, has anyone come across this kind of issue before and how did you fix it? [code below]

import android.view.View;
import android.content.Context;
import android.graphics.Bitmap;
import android.graphics.Paint;
import android.graphics.BitmapFactory;
import android.graphics.Canvas;
public class MainActivity extends Activity
/** Called when the activity is first created. */
public void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState)
setContentView(new DrawView(this));

public class DrawView extends View
private Paint mpaint = new Paint( );
private Bitmap mbitmap;

public DrawView(Context context)

BitmapFactory.Options options = new BitmapFactory.Options( );
options.inDither = false;

mbitmap = BitmapFactory.decodeResource(context.getResources( ), R.drawable.box);

protected void onDraw(Canvas canvas)
canvas.drawBitmap(mbitmap, 6, 6, mpaint);


PS: I also tried SurfaceView, same problems.. I know it is somehow possible to get decent pixel quality in android, just take a look at Zenonia (my images look like those from Zenonia 1 at the moment, I would like the quality achieved in Zenonia 3/4 smile.png )

EDIT2: Some more evidence of the problem I'm having, definitely some unwanted scaling going on. I've tried putting the image in all drawable folders one at a time, hdpi scales down and mdpi scales to what you see in the image below:

The Image to the right is the one I am drawing and the one on the left is from the API demos.
I can't see what I'm doing wrong, I checked the code both are being loaded via the openRawResource( ) and the decodeStream( ) methods.
There is also no evidence of scaling the frog in the API demo.. two simple lines that I have included plus the line to draw is all I can find. Edited by roadysix

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!