• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JDGamedev

Different Styles For Moving Sprites

This topic is 2173 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Lately I've been trying to make a lot of design decisions for my game and the type of movement that will be in the game is a big deal.

I've tried out a couple different methods (free movement and tile-by-tile movement) but I'd like to see what you guys think.

What are some different ways to control movement that you have experience with and what are the ups and downs? Also, which do you think is the most fun to use?

Advertisement

What kind of game are we talking about? Tile-based 2d RPG?

Pretty much. I want to include some RTS-type stuff like building a base, but mostly RPG.

Conventially, real-time games are generally free-movement, while turn-based are grid (rectangular or hexagonal).

The fun-factor would depend entirely on the style of the game. A real-time game, especially where finesse is needed when moving the player, would potentially annoy me if it was grid-based.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!