Looking for an engine...

Started by
5 comments, last by Orymus3 11 years, 9 months ago
Hi,

Brief post here.
I'm currently looking to see if there's a better engine for what I'm trying to do.
We're currently using Unity.

We want to make a 2d Game for PC and Android (Mobile).
I'm assuming Unity isn't optimized for that, but I haven't really found a better alternative given the relative ease of use of the engine and its capabilities.

I once stumbled on Torque 2D but its support for mobile was kinda ew, and I haven't really received that many positive feedbacks.

Any pointers?

Thanks!
Advertisement
unity3d would be perfect for that.
I don't use engines myself, but have you tried out Blender? I've heard a lot of good things and it's definitely suited for 2d development.

Good luck

given the relative ease of use of the engine and its capabilities.

Never change a running system,especially when targeting different plattforms. On the other hand it depends on your requirements. A simple 2d engine isn't that hard and unity might be more of a burden in this case.

What similar game already existing is close to your technically requirements ?

unity3d would be perfect for that.

I find it clunky to work on 2d stuff, it's like hacking the engine to do something lower tech than its made for. It feels counter-intuitive, hence why I'm asking.

I don't use engines myself, but have you tried out Blender? I've heard a lot of good things and it's definitely suited for 2d development.

Good luck

I used to render 3d scenes in Blender, To me, the resource management logic feels very 3d oriented. I guess I'm just hoping to find something that wasn't built with 3d in mind if that makes sense.

given the relative ease of use of the engine and its capabilities.
Never change a running system,especially when targeting different plattforms. On the other hand it depends on your requirements. A simple 2d engine isn't that hard and unity might be more of a burden in this case.

What similar game already existing is close to your technically requirements ?

We're looking for a pixelated look and retro gameplay, think something like Chrono Trigger/Early Final Fantasy titles. Like I said, this is low tech, so I'd rather use a simple engine if possible. Unity3d allows to do a lot, that we may not be needing.
Correct me if I'm wrong but, many of the games that are pixels are created with normal engines not anything special that's just made for 2D art.
Plus, I almost feel if you DID find one that it may not have everything you need. The pro's to have an extra powerful engine would be that,
1: If you need the power it's there
2: There will be function you'll need that the 2D engine may not have, where as the 3D engine will have more than enough for you to play around with.

Just a thought.
I will admit I had the same idea as you far as an engine goes for a very simple game but at the same time, if you create a 2D game with say, Direct X then later on down the road you want to make a 3D game, you'll already know DX.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, many of the games that are pixels are created with normal engines not anything special that's just made for 2D art.

I'm not overly familiar with the indie approach. Generally, companies stick to the tech they have and they "make it work". If not, they acquire a new engine, but they rarely go for highly specialized engines as they tend to do a variety of products. In my case, I'm only considering one project right now, so I feel there may be a need to specialize, if not in terms of feature set, at least, in terms of scope. The upside of doing something low tech is you can probably take a simpler engine to work with (Unity3D is rather straightforwards in that regard).

I will admit I had the same idea as you far as an engine goes for a very simple game but at the same time, if you create a 2D game with say, Direct X then later on down the road you want to make a 3D game, you'll already know DX.

This is accurate, but I like to live in the present, especially as a startup. It is easy to think about the next thing, but I have to root my chances in the present. This may mean that my 2nd project will be a lot of re-learning, but I'm ok with that if that's because the first is successful.
In order to have a first game that is successful, I need to put every chance on my hand, and if having a more specialized engine means taking much less time to complete or less complex to code, I'm all for that. Torque 2D seemed good, but like I said, its multiplatform looks hazy and I haven't really seen credible reviews.

What would you guys use for a strict 2d game?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement