• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pcmaster

Unity Windows 7 WMI - can we force custom info?

This topic is 2341 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi community!

I'm familiar with querying WMI for system info (such as win32_baseboard, ...). Now I'm wondering if it's possible at all to force custom info to WMI, so applications see something else than the things Windows normally returns (for starters, force a custom string into "win32_baseboard")? Maybe give the application a custom wmi*.dll which "returns" tampered values?

Thanks for insights

Advertisement
Exactly! I need to know in order to better protect my software against cracking. Question is if the cracker can supply false info. Can they?

Exactly! I need to know in order to better protect my software against cracking. Question is if the cracker can supply false info. Can they?

I don't see any reason why not. If your program doesn't check up with an external server, then all it can check against are files on the user's computer, which can be easily modified by users who know what they are doing.

Of course but I'm asking specifically about WMI and whether there's any possibility to forge custom "hardware configuration" so programs won't notice...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!