Getting special folders code question.

Started by
2 comments, last by Firestryke31 11 years, 9 months ago
I am wondering if this is teh correct way to go about getting the saved game folder and applaction settings for windows.

I have the def for windows in case I want to port it. (core::stringc and irr::io::path are part of the engine so I am not worreied about that)

[source lang="cpp"]
#ifdef _WINDOWS
#include <windows.h>

#include "shlobj.h"
#include <stdio.h>

core::stringc GetSettingFilePath(){

TCHAR szPath[MAX_PATH];

if(SUCCEEDED(SHGetFolderPath(NULL,
CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA|CSIDL_FLAG_CREATE,
NULL,
szPath))){

core::stringc DirectoryPth = "";
DirectoryPth.append(szPath);

DirectoryPth.append("\\Costumeverse\\kitsuneWorld.settings");

return DirectoryPth;

}

}

#include <shlobj.h>

#define PRODUCT_TITLE TEXT("Costumeverse")

#define KF_FLAG_CREATE 0x8000
#define KF_FLAG_DONT_VERIFY 0x4000
#define KF_FLAG_NO_ALIAS 0x1000
#define KF_FLAG_INIT 0x0800
#define KF_FLAG_DEFAULT_PATH 0x0400
#define KF_FLAG_NOT_PARENT_RELATIVE 0x0200
#define KF_FLAG_SIMPLE_IDLIST 0x0100

typedef HRESULT (WINAPI *PSHGetKnownFolderPath)(const GUID &rfid, DWORD dwFlags, HANDLE hToken, PWSTR *ppszPath); // free *ppszPath with CoTaskMemFree

irr::io::path getSavePath()
{
// Get Save Path

TCHAR szPath[MAX_PATH];

if(SUCCEEDED(SHGetFolderPath(NULL,
CSIDL_PROFILE|CSIDL_FLAG_CREATE,
NULL,
szPath))){

core::stringc DirectoryPth = "";
DirectoryPth.append(szPath);

DirectoryPth.append("\\Saved Games\\Costumeverse\\");

return DirectoryPth;

}

}

#endif
[/source]
Advertisement
It depends on if you're minimum target is Windows XP or Windows Vista/7. I'm going V/7 minimum so my code for the save game is this:
[source lang="cpp"]Ogre::String getSavePath()
{
PWSTR path;
HRESULT hr = SHGetKnownFolderPath(FOLDERID_SavedGames, NULL, NULL, &path);

char newPath[MAX_PATH];

WideCharToMultiByte(CP_UTF8, NULL, path, -1, newPath, MAX_PATH, 0, NULL);

Ogre::String result = newPath;
result += "/MyCompany/";
result += PRODUCT_TITLE;

CoTaskMemFree(path);

return result;
}[/source]

[font=courier new,courier,monospace]Ogre::String[/font] can probably be converted to [font=courier new,courier,monospace]core::stringc[/font] and [font=courier new,courier,monospace]+= x;[/font] to [font=courier new,courier,monospace].append(x);[/font] without problems. AppData is just the above but with [font=courier new,courier,monospace]FOLDERID_LocalAppData[/font] instead of[font=courier new,courier,monospace]FOLDERID_SavedGames[/font]. Note that I threw that together quickly so be careful about buffer overflows with [font=courier new,courier,monospace]WideCharToMultiByte()[/font] (though I don't think there will be one, it never hurts to double check). Don't forget to change [font=courier new,courier,monospace]MyCompany[/font] and [font=courier new,courier,monospace]PRODUCT_TITLE[/font] to what they should be. I also use this to build the base path, not the final path, so you might neen to either add a parameter allowing you to append files to the result or add the filename to [font=courier new,courier,monospace]PRODUCT_TITLE[/font].

It depends on if you're minimum target is Windows XP or Windows Vista/7. I'm going V/7 minimum so my code for the save game is this:
[source lang="cpp"]Ogre::String getSavePath()
{
PWSTR path;
HRESULT hr = SHGetKnownFolderPath(FOLDERID_SavedGames, NULL, NULL, &path);

char newPath[MAX_PATH];

WideCharToMultiByte(CP_UTF8, NULL, path, -1, newPath, MAX_PATH, 0, NULL);

Ogre::String result = newPath;
result += "/MyCompany/";
result += PRODUCT_TITLE;

CoTaskMemFree(path);

return result;
}[/source]

[font=courier new,courier,monospace]Ogre::String[/font] can probably be converted to [font=courier new,courier,monospace]core::stringc[/font] and [font=courier new,courier,monospace]+= x;[/font] to [font=courier new,courier,monospace].append(x);[/font] without problems. AppData is just the above but with [font=courier new,courier,monospace]FOLDERID_LocalAppData[/font] instead of[font=courier new,courier,monospace]FOLDERID_SavedGames[/font]. Note that I threw that together quickly so be careful about buffer overflows with [font=courier new,courier,monospace]WideCharToMultiByte()[/font] (though I don't think there will be one, it never hurts to double check). Don't forget to change [font=courier new,courier,monospace]MyCompany[/font] and [font=courier new,courier,monospace]PRODUCT_TITLE[/font] to what they should be. I also use this to build the base path, not the final path, so you might neen to either add a parameter allowing you to append files to the result or add the filename to [font=courier new,courier,monospace]PRODUCT_TITLE[/font].

[source lang="cpp"]
int sizeRequired= WideCharToMultiByte(CP_UTF8, NULL, path, -1, NULL, 0, 0, NULL);

char newPath[sizeRequired];

WideCharToMultiByte(CP_UTF8, NULL, path, -1, newPath, sizeRequired, 0, NULL);[/source]

calling WideCharToMultiByte with a 0 as the 6th paramater gives you the size required.

However I get an error
'FOLDERID_SavedGames' was not declared in this scope as well as
'SHGetKnownFolderPath' was not declared in this scope

I have #include <Shlobj.h> and am using mingw32-g++ as the compiler.

I think I need to install the windows SDK which is what I am doing now.

calling WideCharToMultiByte with a 0 as the 6th paramater gives you the size required.

Cool, I did not know that. I have now added that to my code; thanks!

I think I need to install the windows SDK which is what I am doing now.

This is probably the case, I have it installed and forgot about it. Though I would think that if it required the SDK, it would throw an error for the missing header rather than simply an undeclared constant. Perhaps the one that comes with MinGW is outdated...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement