Header Guards

Started by
10 comments, last by larspensjo 11 years, 9 months ago
Should I put the header guard statments before the other include statments in the file?
Advertisement
Yes.
So what type of guards are best?

I prefer "#pragma once", but I am uncertain of the support.
[size=2]Current project: Ephenation.
[size=2]Sharing OpenGL experiences: http://ephenationopengl.blogspot.com/
As long as the compiler you are using supports it, you should be fine. The resulting executable doesn't worry about those.
Even if #pragma once gets more and more supported and works well I am doing both types of guards.
First #pragma once and after that the pre-processor guards with #ifndef/#define/#endif. This way the probably faster solution with the pragma tries first and if it fails the old-style catches the double inclusion.

As I had to decide what way is the best it has been reported that #pragma once may fail if the same file has been opened via different pathes, with a crosslink somewhere. This should now be fixed for most of the compilers. But who knows?
[font=courier new,courier,monospace]pragma once[/font] is supported by all C++ compilers these days.

Modern compilers have built-in optimisations for both [font=courier new,courier,monospace]pragma once[/font] or the traditional [font=courier new,courier,monospace]ifndef/define/endif[/font] guards -- they'll both be just as fast as each other.
You do not have modern compilers in all environments e.g. embedded systems.
I use "#pragma once" and I'm fine with it... but I think there are no really big differences.
But "'#pragma" is easier... Only one line without additional identifiers like "COLOR_H". It is more comfortable so I use it.
If you like them, use it...

[font=courier new,courier,monospace]pragma once[/font] is supported by all C++ compilers these days.[/quote]
Yap, this is really true :)

You do not have modern compilers in all environments e.g. embedded systems.[/quote]
True, too :( But when you develop an application or library for an embedded system you often only use one specific compiler for one architecture (if it is not a general library of course)... And often someone from outdoor don't recompile the code...

In my opinion: Use it when you like it. The compiler will tell his opinion.
Reading, Reading, Reading... why do you read not more?
I have a blog: omercan1993.wordpress.com look there for more content
And I also do some art: omercan1993.deviantart.com
And whats about the Pear3DEngine? Never heard of it? Go and look!
Yeah, and currently I do this: SimuWorld

PS: Please look at this poll on my blog about scripting languages: A opinion poll about scripting language

You do not have modern compilers in all environments e.g. embedded systems.

Those compilers don't usually support the whole language either, and that doesn't mean that the features of the language they don't support should be avoided. I think using `#pragma once' should be fine these days. If you are programming for an embedded system, you need to be aware of several things you can't do, and this would be one of them.

Also, I got the impression that people tend to use gcc on pretty much every platform these days. But perhaps I am mistaken. Do you have an example of an embedded system for which people don't use gcc?

Also, I got the impression that people tend to use gcc on pretty much every platform these days. But perhaps I am mistaken. Do you have an example of an embedded system for which people don't use gcc?

I am working in the automotive business, and they have a lot of embedded systems these days. Not that I have seen more than a couple of them, but none had GCC.
[size=2]Current project: Ephenation.
[size=2]Sharing OpenGL experiences: http://ephenationopengl.blogspot.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement