HUD

Started by
1 comment, last by riuthamus 11 years, 9 months ago
what do y'all think of this screenshot?
http://postimage.org/image/qhrhujahd/
Advertisement
I love the hand-drawn fruit images. The border seems a bit too shiny and not-quite-metal but not-quite-plastic either. I think a good wooden border would work even better, in my opinion, but whether wood or metal, more time needs to be invested in it then a simple bevel. Also, the shadow on the wheel of fruit near the top doesn't follow the same lighting as the border does.

The border shadowing is weird, actually. Where is the light supposed to be coming from? I see three different light-sources on the border: White to the north, soft yellow from the south, and some orange-ish one from the east. The western edge of the border fades to complete blackness, with doesn't work well with the fruit wheel inside the border.

Also, the border's inside edge is completely straight, but the wheel inside is shaded as if it's curved. If the wheel is curved, the inside edge of the border needs to curve with it, in the inside-east and inside-west (but it's not as big a deal as the lighting).

And personally, I'm in favor of only one (or at most two) light-sources for the entire scene (fruit wheel and border), coming from the north-west. This is what most Windows computer users are used to:
lightko.png

Your fruit looks great, btw! smile.png
Not bad for a start, the key to making a good UI is the question of what you are trying to display. Do you want this to look like a slot machine? or do you want to look like handheld toy? Maybe a futuristic device? That all matters for how and where you want to take this.

The bevel is a bit too much, and it doesnt have any form past itself, Maybe an indent or two like the guy above said. That would really help with making it feel a bit more detailed. The lighting is also a bit off, as the previous posted suggested. To get that right you really need to understand how lighting works, or just wing it. The easiest answer is to put your light above the work you are doing and use a single light. If you want to add ambient light you need to pick a color and a tone that would match the setting. You wouldnt see a bright yellow like that unless there was another light down there... and that is hard for the user to understand since they cant see that other light. So it will look unreal to the eye.

What were you going for? From there we can help you to make it look cleaner.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement