• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Fairywingsrpg

Cryptography in gamedev

This topic is 2343 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Probably zero impact, considering all the cryptography you'll ever need has already been implemented securely in many libraries (openssl, bouncycastle, etc...) and you almost never (and should never) implement it yourself. But learning about cryptography certainly is worth it (but until you actually know what you're doing you shouldn't use it in your commercial projects).

Furthermore cryptography in general is not a very useful tool when it comes to preventing cheating etc... Cryptography solves these problems:
- confidentiality (controlling who can read what you wrote)
- integrity (making sure a given message arrives intact to some destination)
- authenticity (knowing who produced/sent data)

In general these are not the problems you want to solve when making games. Edited by Bacterius

Thank you for the advice, I already know it is bad to implement your security instead of using the tride and true well tested ones. I was mostly looking at it from a game play perspective rather then securing commercial products.

puzzle mechanics.

Then sure I guess, but it has to be kept simple (cryptography understandable by average human beings, e.g. back to caesar's code or vigenere level stuff). Perhaps this should be moved to Game Design if it is going to be about how to integrate cryptographic concepts into game mechanics as puzzles or problem solving etc.. you will get more responses I think.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!