Cryptography in gamedev

Started by
4 comments, last by Bacterius 11 years, 9 months ago
I've been studying cryptography lately and I wanted to know how big of an impact it has in game development and creative ways I could use it.
Advertisement
Probably zero impact, considering all the cryptography you'll ever need has already been implemented securely in many libraries (openssl, bouncycastle, etc...) and you almost never (and should never) implement it yourself. But learning about cryptography certainly is worth it (but until you actually know what you're doing you shouldn't use it in your commercial projects).

Furthermore cryptography in general is not a very useful tool when it comes to preventing cheating etc... Cryptography solves these problems:
- confidentiality (controlling who can read what you wrote)
- integrity (making sure a given message arrives intact to some destination)
- authenticity (knowing who produced/sent data)

In general these are not the problems you want to solve when making games.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Thank you for the advice, I already know it is bad to implement your security instead of using the tride and true well tested ones. I was mostly looking at it from a game play perspective rather then securing commercial products.
Cryptography in gameplay? You mean as in crypto minigames or something? Can you give an example?

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

puzzle mechanics.

puzzle mechanics.

Then sure I guess, but it has to be kept simple (cryptography understandable by average human beings, e.g. back to caesar's code or vigenere level stuff). Perhaps this should be moved to Game Design if it is going to be about how to integrate cryptographic concepts into game mechanics as puzzles or problem solving etc.. you will get more responses I think.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement