FPU mode

Started by
11 comments, last by scniton 11 years, 9 months ago
Hello everyone.

I need to to make sure that the fpu mode, mostly the rounding mode and the floating point pricision, are set correctly. With Microsoft's compiler i can use the intrinsic _controlfp which is very handy.

With gcc though, i didn't find such an intrinsic. The only way i found was using inline assembler. Is there such an intrinsic for gcc ? I know with Microsoft compiler you can't use inline assembler, is that also true for gcc.
We think in generalities, but we live in details.
- Alfred North Whitehead
Advertisement
Beware of doing that.

Many libraries, such as D3D, rely on specific settings and will either not operate correctly or will give poor performance when you start messing with floating point settings.

There was a time twenty years ago when you needed to mess with floating point options. These days it is a rare thing.
MSVC++ does allow inline assembler btw just need to add:

__asm{
mov eax, 0; Your assembler code here, rember ';' is comment in assembler
}

The code I provide is just an example and only sets register eax to 0.

Using intrinsics is a far simpler way to express what you want the compiler to create in assmbler however and far more encouraged, remember the compiler is far better at optimising assembler code then you are.(Unless you are a true coding guru)

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

MSVS in 64 bit windows does not allow inline assambler.

To the OP:

The only reason you'd wan't to contol fp mode would be to sync the CPU and GPU. However. this isn't possilbe. The GPU relies on FMA instructions, which have no CPU counterparts (yet), so it's a pretty futile excersise. You cannot get the same results from a GPU and CPU. (at least since gtx400 GPUs).

To the OP:

The only reason you'd wan't to contol fp mode would be to sync the CPU and GPU. However. this isn't possilbe. The GPU relies on FMA instructions, which have no CPU counterparts (yet), so it's a pretty futile excersise. You cannot get the same results from a GPU and CPU. (at least since gtx400 GPUs).

Not entirely true... for example, the outputs of SSE2 instructions can be made to converge to (close to) FPU instructions with appropriate settings. This might be useful if, say, one wants a 64-bit app to generate similar results to a 32-bit app, within some tolerance.

I do agree that it's rare to need to do this, and any twiddling of the FPU control bits should be viewed with ample suspicion in this day and age. But it's not entirely useless.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Not entirely true... for example, the outputs of SSE2 instructions can be made to converge to (close to) FPU instructions with appropriate settings. This might be useful if, say, one wants a 64-bit app to generate similar results to a 32-bit app, within some tolerance.

Thank you, this is the case.
- Alfred North Whitehead

MSVS in 64 bit windows does not allow inline assambler.

To the OP:

While that is true the OP didnt state wheter he was using x64 or not, so I assumed not especially since he talked about inline assmbler anyway. However you can still use assmbler if you want to but you have to add an assembler source file and add a reference to the assembler function to the C++ code.

See: [media]
[/media] he has more videos on how to write x64 ASM and they are good imo.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

Look in the source code in the link, it will likely help: http://www.christian...rojekte/fpmath/
EDIT: The source is buried at the bottom, here is the direct link: http://www.christian-seiler.de/projekte/fpmath/xpfpa.h
Stop twiddling your bits and use them already!

EDIT: The source is buried at the bottom, here is the direct link: http://www.christian.../fpmath/xpfpa.h

Very interesting and useful. It explains and clarifies alot of things.

danke schön
- Alfred North Whitehead
The linked article is indeed informative, but not necessarily up to date or complete.

I've done a fair bit of work on floating-point determinism so if you have any specific questions or problems feel free to ask!

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement