• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Poh Yong Xiang

Help in Choice of 2D Game Engine for a game like Little Fighter 2...

This topic is 2339 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am a total Newbie in Game Programming but have been programming in a few languages due to school matters.

J2ME
C#(Longest Period of Practice)
Python
C Programming

I know that there are all sorts of 2d engine so i was wondering which is easier to start with.

I plan to make a left to right RPG game where we have a boss at the end of the path..(Imagine Diablo in Little Fighter Interface)
So i believe i need collision programming(Sorry not sure what is the right term) and maybe some physics for jumping.

Of course i plan to do just a player vs 1 AI to start the project before i go in depth to the above setting.

EDIT: Due to Riverreal's suggestions, i shall be listing what i planned to do overall in detailed.
- RPG-like(D3 or MMORPG type of Boss char in the ending of a stage)
- LF2 Interface
- 1 vs All Game Play
- 2 or more Coop Play
- Different Weapon System
- No Magic but Sword Skills
- Button combination Special Move as you see in Little Fighter 2
- Sword Negating Effects(My guess is related to collision timing or stuff) <-- Might need your advices...
- Combo System?
- AI for Units or Boss
- Jumping Action
- Special Moves Effects before action applies.(Like some animation before the move is executed,,, lol)

As i am still a newbie towards programming games, so the above might sound stupid...

Can anyone give suggestions?

Thank you very much...

PS: Currently using the XNA studio tutorial from microsoft to get the feel of creating a game by following the instructions..
Hope this method is well received by you pros.... Edited by Yxpoh

Advertisement
I think XNA is a good "tool" to start with, but it depends... What is your goal?

If you just want to make a game, XNA is OK. But if you want to get a job or something like that you need to learn other things.

I think XNA is a good "tool" to start with, but it depends... What is your goal?

If you just want to make a game, XNA is OK. But if you want to get a job or something like that you need to learn other things.

Well, if possible both, i just want to know what is good to start out with....

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!