Qt C++ MMORPG

Started by
17 comments, last by DZee 11 years, 9 months ago
I am starting making a mmorpg game using qt and c++ does if anyone can point my in the right direction such as books, tutorials, website anything to help me get started.
Advertisement
http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/how-do-i-make-games-a-path-to-game-development-r892 - Start with Tetris. Realize the ridiculously immense scale of the project you've set yourself. Lower your expectations.
I'm a very good programmer and have programmed many other games including android and xna game so I'm not worried that my project to big i just need to how to get started.
Write some code?

Seriously, if you're experienced enough as a programmer to handle writing a game like this, it should already be second nature to you to just start hacking on a project and then take it through to completion. Something tells me this isn't the case.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Wow, it's been a while since we've had one of these infamous MMO threads.

I'm a very good programmer and have programmed many other games including android and xna game so I'm not worried that my project to big i just need to how to get started.

Have a look at the credits for some MMORPGs and count the amount of people who helped develop it. When you've done that go find some information about how much those projects cost to develop and maintain and how many years were spent actually developing the base game.

All those people who worked on those MMORPGs were experienced in their fields, yet they still require large teams and large budgets.
An MMO first of all is not a single person project, it's not a no- or low-budget project, and it definitely isn't a project for someone with moderate experience.

Also this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

I gets all your texture budgets!

If this is the case then pointing out the direction is fairly easy:
Fire up your code editor / IDE and get to work, you might want to do a rough system sketch for the backend first though, (Depending on your design it doesn't have to be all that complex), normally however the words MMO and tutorial don't mix all that well.

For proper MMOs you might want to pick up a book or two on distributed simulations (As its pretty much required knowledge to get that first M in there), you could also look at HeroEngine which solves some of the harder technical challenges for you (I don't know what kind of MMO you want to make but i'd highly recommend going into space, space is rather empty and thus it is fairly easy to make alot of it) (a massive number of concurrent players require a large world and a large world can require quite insane amounts of artwork and other assets)

Once you got a playable prototype you can make a post in the classifieds section here to recruit more people. (Don't bother recruiting until you actually got a solid start though)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
You said you've made some games for Android and XNA, but of what complexity? If you're not worried about the project size getting too big, you should then have an idea on how to break it down into simpler goals and projects, so you can figure out the first step. However, this contradicts the statement that you don't know how to get started. Can you be more specific on what kind of games you've made before?

New game in progress: Project SeedWorld

My development blog: Electronic Meteor

One step in the right direction may be to rethink the decision to use Qt for your game. I'm a Qt user myself, and am currently using it on my game - but my game is a 2D RPG where performance isn't critical.
Qt isn't really designed with games in mind, and as such, has some performance issues that pop up at unpredictable times - in particular I'm thinking about a blog post I read recently, where someone was making a Minecraft clone using OpenGL and Qt, and showed performance measurements for his game where Qt was eating the lion's share of it.

Also Qt kinda enforces it's own programming paradigm on you, forcing you to use signals and slots whether you want to or not, and takes complete control of the main loop of the application. I begrudgingly tolerate that in my project.
However, I suppose being open source and all, you could edit it to fit your needs and then recompile it (LGPL, so your changes need to be made available to others). I intend to do that myself in the future on different projects, but for my present projects I'm not bothering with that.

If I was using Qt for a 3D game, I'd edit it in the following ways before proceeding on the project:
A) I'd reclaim control of the main loop.
B) I'd swap out signals and slots (which is fine for applications) for a different kind of messaging system.
C) I'd make the rendering happen when I say and not when Qt feels like it.

That being said, the RIFT mmo uses Qt... I bet they didn't just use it out of the box, though. You have to weigh the pros and cons.

One step in the right direction may be to rethink the decision to use Qt for your game. I'm a Qt user myself, and am currently using it on my game - but my game is a 2D RPG where performance isn't critical.
Qt isn't really designed with games in mind, and as such, has some performance issues that pop up at unpredictable times - in particular I'm thinking about a blog post I read recently, where someone was making a Minecraft clone using OpenGL and Qt, and showed performance measurements for his game where Qt was eating the lion's share of it.

Also Qt kinda enforces it's own programming paradigm on you, forcing you to use signals and slots whether you want to or not, and takes complete control of the main loop of the application. I begrudgingly tolerate that in my project.
However, I suppose being open source and all, you could edit it to fit your needs and then recompile it (LGPL, so your changes need to be made available to others). I intend to do that myself in the future on different projects, but for my present projects I'm not bothering with that.

If I was using Qt for a 3D game, I'd edit it in the following ways before proceeding on the project:
A) I'd reclaim control of the main loop.
B) I'd swap out signals and slots (which is fine for applications) for a different kind of messaging system.
C) I'd make the rendering happen when I say and not when Qt feels like it.

That being said, the RIFT mmo uses Qt... I bet they didn't just use it out of the box, though. You have to weigh the pros and cons.

You can use QT without it taking over your mainloop if you want, (IIRC you only have to call ProcessEvents on your QApplication from your own loop) and i think you can call thinks like the updateGL method directly as long as its done from the thread that owns the QGLWidget.

It is however probably a better idea to use a different library for games unless the game is GUI driven. (QT is a great desktop GUI library, most of it is fairly useless in the average game though)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Here is a good link: http://www.gamedev.net/index.php?app=core&module=search

More seriously, about the Qt thing, we've gone over this before, e.g. http://www.gamedev.net/topic/625708-use-qt-something-else-or-roll-my-own/page__p__4948203
Stop twiddling your bits and use them already!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement