We should bring down the voting system for good

Started by
48 comments, last by Michael Tanczos 11 years, 9 months ago

Last night My reputation was up 86 points, and I kid you not, went down to 63 in 5 minutes, 5 minutes!!! I went to look my recent voting history and nobody down voted anything during that period of time, Did the system voted me down?? I am baffled and bewildered.

Have you taken a look at your reputation history? Those show you had 5 downvotes last night. Things will fluctuate a lot during the day.

Editing your vote might be an improvement, but let's be honest. who will take their time to analyze their votes and undo what they did?

I would, and so would others. Maybe not everyone. Either way, people won't change their votes (whether they were upvotes or downvotes) without good reason. The changing ability is good though because it allows mistakes and misunderstandings to be corrected.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Advertisement

Last night My reputation was up 86 points, and I kid you not, went down to 63 in 5 minutes, 5 minutes!!!

If you look at your reputation tab on your profile -- the lower of the 2 reputation tabs you will note there was a set of downposts made on you within a short period of time. Don't forget if you do believe the possibility of an inappropriate action has been taken - it is in your right to seek redress through a Moderator. I would suggest speaking to one of the two mods who have already posted in this thread as being somewhat familiar to the situation as being a sensible choice.

The staff updates in this link will explain the various reputation aspects
http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1037-gamedevnet-staff-journal/

Editing your vote might be an improvement, but let's be honest. who will take their time to analyze their votes and undo what they did?

I would and having seen several posts by other members regarding a mistaken vote -- I feel fairly safe in trusting that far more than just a few would also.

I understand the majority is happy with the system, but I'm still taking a stand against it, Bring it down

I am all for you being allowed to express your opinion of disagreement to the system. If anything it proves the site is healthy. Just please, for the sake of all that is semi-decent in the world, don't turn your belief into a ongoing fanatical tirade of unending proportions...that would suck and most likely alienate others into flexing their cursors on the downposts (regardless of how unfair that might seem - human nature is not always kind)

Have you taken a look at your reputation history? Those show you had 5 downvotes last night. Things will fluctuate a lot during the day.

Ok, I realize people down-voted, If my math serves me correctly that means: 86 - 5 = 81 points. We are talking about a 23 point differential, unless I am missing some sort of coefficient, where did the other points go?

You know what would be better? Somehow enable or disable the points system in your settings. This system makes me feel bewildered, believe me, I did my best trying to understand the point system, First I thought it was a normal point system, +1 and -1, then I thought it was basketball system, sometimes +2 sometimes +3, sometimes +2 and 1. I fail to understand the system

Ok, I realize people down-voted, If my math serves me correctly that means: 86 - 5 = 81 points.

Receiving a downvote or upvote is worth +/-3. Giving a downvote or upvote is worth +/-1. There have been times on GameDev.net where a votes were "weighted" (so a user with a higher rep would have a higher impact when voting (it's always been clamped to sane values, though)). There's been talk of brining back the weighted system, though I don't know if they have or will (seems like every up/downvote is +/-3, so they don't look weighted at the moment). I don't know all the history of your rep though, and if you have concerns I too suggest you take it up with a moderator or staff member, as they have access to additional information.

You know what would be better? Somehow enable or disable the points system in your settings.

Or maybe a good tutorial on GameDev.net's rating system for beginners (that new users are shown when they sign up)? I think an "introduction video" or something that goes over the basics of the community wouldn't be a bad thing.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
In addition to the link I gave you in my previous post - you should also read through this thread

http://www.gamedev.n...ging-in-really/

while the down vote may only show -3 -- if the reputation of the person is sufficiently different or large enough (not really sure which tbh as haven't worried about it) the reputation can be changed by up to 5 and still only show as 3. This affects both positive and negative votes. As to why it still only shows 3 (despite being at times 4 or 5)...take that up with Gamedev...because I has no clue.

while the down vote may only show -3 -- if the reputation of the person is sufficiently different or large enough (not really sure which tbh as haven't worried about it) the reputation can be changed by up to 5 and still only show as 3. This affects both positive and negative votes. As to why it still only shows 3 (despite being at times 4 or 5)...take that up with Gamedev...because I has no clue.

Is that so? Mods/staff, is this correct? If so, can we please get this fixed?

Receiving a downvote or upvote is worth +/-3. Giving a downvote or upvote is worth +/-1. There have been times on GameDev.net where a votes were "weighted" (so a user with a higher rep would have a higher impact when voting (it's always been clamped to sane values, though)). There's been talk of brining back the weighted system, though I don't know if they have or will (seems like every up/downvote is +/-3, so they don't look weighted at the moment). I don't know all the history of your rep though, and if you have concerns I too suggest you take it up with a moderator or staff member, as they have access to additional information.

So it is basketball system or not? Why gamedev.net did this? Was there a competition on which forum came up with the most complicated system? What's wrong with the classical +1 and -1?

Look at us man, we have no clue what is going on. According to Gamedev.net you have a good reputation and my reputation equals to Ivan the Terrible but we don't know what is going on here, I mean it is my fault? it is the website's fault? I've read tons of replies on this particular topic and I still fail to understand, somebody the other day told me it was ++ and -- system, Y'all are confusing me.

Something else, people voted down my post because allegedly I gave bad advice, but people get +1 for just logging in to the forum. How does that work?

Thanks
Actually I should correct myself I believe it is capped at 4 not 5. but it still shows up as 3. My apologies for the error, posting at 3am does not make cogent statements at times.

Look at us man, we have no clue what is going on. According to Gamedev.net you have a good reputation and my reputation equals to Ivan the Terrible but we don't know what is going on here

Mostly I don't know because I don't truly pay attention to the ins and outs of the rep system. Sure, I have opinions, and absolutely if I think something shonky has happened to my rep I will raise it with a mod. But at the end of the day my primary goal is to provide others with what little I know in terms of knowledge and advice whilst sucking the thoughts of others on this website for my own needs and interests. I take an active part in pointing out bugs where I see them (as I believe this is a website that tries very hard to make itself a good site) but sometimes I can miss the obvious ones such as Cornstalks picked up on. If you look at the breakdown of my rep you will find that a large chunk of it is not related to scholar related activities but rather participation and moderation (i.e. reporting threads that need to be moved to a more appropriate forum). Also you will find that the majority of my posts are within the creative forums of design and writing (far more accepting of opinions) followed mostly by business and law (far less accepting of opinions). My one technical post has a downvote on it.

I can understand your frustration at being downchecked. No one likes to be downchecked except trolls and I don't think of you as a troll but simply as a person who has walked into a glass door and realised after the fact that the door was closed. My only advice is relax, don't take it too seriously, chase up a mod if you believe that last set of downchecks was not appropriate (chances are given this thread one of them will check anyway). Mostly however, don't wake up the natives.

According to Gamedev.net you have a good reputation and my reputation equals to Ivan the Terrible

Trust me on this simple fact -- you are nowhere near the most downvoted person on this site in recent times on a scale of 100's. Just focus on providing good advice and it will show through. That's all I can suggest,
I don't know man, I normally don't care about reputation or so, but when I see that number highlighted in the title bar of my posts it annoys me

And what's more interesting is the fact that the hottest topics in this section of the forum are from people complaining about the system, yet the Mods are saying that the people is happy with it.

Think about it, the system needs improvement, Gamedev.net. I love this forum but that rating system is just... wrong.

Think about it, the system needs improvement, Gamedev.net. I love this forum but that rating system is just... wrong.

Nobody claims the rating system is perfect, and I think many would agree that it does need improvement. That's why there's continual discussion about it. That's why it's continuously evolving (it's changed a lot over the last year). Removing it doesn't improve it though. The rating system was put in place because people were misbehaving and trolling too much. Since it was implemented, behavior on GameDev.net has improved, showing that it at least has some value and merit. GameDev.net is a place for professionalism, and if the rating system encourages that, then great, let's keep it. But it can probably be improved. If you have any ideas on how to improve the system, I'm sure the community would appreciate hearing them. "How do we improve the rating system?" is a surprisingly tough question to answer, though, and it's why the rating system isn't perfect (I don't necessarily think it's perfect, but I don't think it's that bad either; I think the primary problem is that people don't use it enough).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement