We should bring down the voting system for good

Started by
48 comments, last by Michael Tanczos 11 years, 9 months ago

[quote name='phantom' timestamp='1342568242' post='4960237']
I went and had a look at your history and do you know what I found? The first 9 rep points YOU gave out where down votes... the irony was quite quite tasty.

That accounts for 9 points, if I understand the rules correctly that should be 91 or so, What happened to the other 21? Those are my fault too?
[/quote]

I also had a look at where your downvotes where coming from and frankly, yes.

Most of your posts where either useless, trolling or just down right incorrect both in my opinion and the opinion of the community.

So, yes, indirectly many points lost where your 'fault'.
Also that was only the first 9 votes you did; I'm sure you've downvoted others since then too.

But here is the crux of the matter; you've rocked up here with your 10 day old membership and tried to post in a certain way. The community has reacted to your information and method of posting. Instead of taking that on board however you have reacted as if the system is broken rather than taking it as a failure on your part to work your way into the community.

Your options at this junction are pretty simple;
1) Adjust and learn to fit in with the community better
2) Don't adjust, continue to post bad information in the same manner and complain about the down voting
3) Leave.

It's all your choice.
Advertisement

Most of your posts where either useless, trolling or just down right incorrect both in my opinion and the opinion of the community.

Ok, let me put it this way. When I reached the point of having an 83 rep, it went down to 60-something like in 5 five minutes, I checked out my voting history and turns out that nobody voted down anything during that period of time. I lost like 20 points because of a bug. How can I solve that?

[quote name='phantom' timestamp='1342569646' post='4960254']

Ok, let me put it this way. When I reached the point of having an 83 rep, it went down to 60-something like in 5 five minutes, I checked out my voting history and turns out that nobody voted down anything during that period of time. I lost like 20 points because of a bug. How can I solve that?
[/quote]

check what you have received, ignoring what you have given, and what you would have received in logging in, that amounts to a net total of -20 points * 3 = 60 negative points, starting at 100, you should be down to 40 points,
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

First of all, you're giving off a ridiculously childish impression with all this whining about your reputation score. 21 points is 7 upvotes. Go make 7 constructive posts and you're done.

If you actually pay attention to all the good advice in this thread, and start trying to be a productive contributor to the community, your reputation will be fine.

I don't mean to be excessively harsh about this, but your attitude is starting to get seriously old.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

check what you have received, ignoring what you have given, and what you would have received in logging in, that amounts to a net total of -20 points * 3 = 60 negative points, starting at 100, you should be down to 40 points,

So what you're saying that all the negative points cost -3 even those who were given by me?
Phantom explained the points system to you on page 2 of this thread. It's very simple.

I have looked at your complete reputation history and all of the math agrees, point for point, with the description he provided. You are not some kind of victim here. People are downvoting your posts because you are being perceived as not providing positive value to the community.

I don't know how much clearer that can be made.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

[quote name='Acotoz' timestamp='1342569936' post='4960258']

First of all, you're giving off a ridiculously childish impression with all this whining about your reputation score. 21 points is 7 upvotes. Go make 7 constructive posts and you're done.

If you actually pay attention to all the good advice in this thread, and start trying to be a productive contributor to the community, your reputation will be fine.

I don't mean to be excessively harsh about this, but your attitude is starting to get seriously old.
[/quote]

All I'm trying to say is that the math is not right, at least for my case, people have been telling that there are bugs and several had told me that some stuff that happened to me shouldn't.

Instead y'all are not seeing that there is something not right going on here. I take responsibility for all the down votes that I've received, but something's not right

[quote name='slicer4ever' timestamp='1342570164' post='4960260']

So what you're saying that all the negative points cost -3 even those who were given by me?
[/quote]

if you click your reputation numbers in the top right, you can see your score breakdown exactly to see where and when you gained/lossed points.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
Instead y'all are not seeing that there is something not right going on here. ... something's not right
Most parts of the site present you with cached/out-of-date data instead of recomputing live values every page refresh.

Most parts of the site present you with cached/out-of-date data instead of recomputing live values every page refresh.

What Hodgman says is correct. In order to compute top members we currently have to recompute reputations for everyone based off of daily/monthly/quarterly/yearly/all time time frames. When all is said and done I think our cache store for reputation is crunching on a few million records at a time. Keeping data between mysql and our redis cache coherent is a round-the-clock process. I ended up writing a system daemon to do the updating but it's still not fast enough to keep everyones records precisely up to date.

There are some issues yet though with quarterly/daily computations that I haven't isolated yet. But that shouldn't impact your overall rating. The number that you see by your name is ALWAYS the most up-to-date number, even if events aren't yet visible in the cached logs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement