• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Acotoz

We should bring down the voting system for good

This topic is 2533 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Think about it, the system needs improvement, Gamedev.net. I love this forum but that rating system is just... wrong.

I am going to speak somewhat harshly at this point as you have made your point fairly clear that you don't like it and continue to make the same point over and over.

It is established that you want the rating system to disappear. Justify it. Don't use opinion simply as a "Because that's what I think!" There is almost 200,000 members (albeit a lot of them inactive I admit) of the gamedev site. Your opinion needs to be backed up with a hell of a lot better reasoning then just the opinion, bring facts, use examples, make a case on logical grounds and for the love of all that's Christmassy, lose the emotion.

Advertisement

[quote name='Acotoz' timestamp='1342547250' post='4960082']
Think about it, the system needs improvement, Gamedev.net. I love this forum but that rating system is just... wrong.

I am going to speak somewhat harshly at this point as you have made your point fairly clear that you don't like it and continue to make the same point over and over.

It is established that you want the rating system to disappear. Justify it. Don't use opinion simply as a "Because that's what I think!" There is almost 200,000 members (albeit a lot of them inactive I admit) of the gamedev site. Your opinion needs to be backed up with a hell of a lot better reasoning then just the opinion, bring facts, use examples, make a case on logical grounds and for the love of all that's Christmassy, lose the emotion.
[/quote]

[quote name='Acotoz' timestamp='1342547250' post='4960082']

[/quote]

I already gave my reasoning why, it's wrong. I got a -3 -5 or whatever the score is (because nobody has explained the rules, by the way) because I wrote "Never give up" to a guy that wants to make it in the industry but people get a +1,+3 or whatever for just logging in.

That sums up everything. If you convince me that what happened there is fair, I will give up on this campaign.

because nobody has explained the rules, by the way

So basically what you are saying is if someone had explained the rules i.e. an introduction to the ratings system (as well what constitutes a useful post) was implemented for new people, you would feel satisfied? Edited by Stormynature

So basically what you are saying is if someone had explained the rules i.e. an introduction to the ratings system (as well what constitutes a useful post) was implemented for new people, you would feel satisfied?

Given that the topic of the post asks for the voting system removal, the answer for that is No.

So? why is entering my username and password successfully more contribution than saying "don't give up"?

Because participation on the site does deserve recognition :-: you earn +1 (max per day)

Scholarship has no cap on how much reputation you can gain.

As to why you received a downpost on "don't give up" :-: who knows. All I know is this - In downvoting a person you also remove a reputation point from your own reputation. The person responsible must have felt that your post was not (in their opinion) a helpful post. Earlier today in my country a lady pulled over in her car to help a man lying collapsed on the side of the road, she was subsequently hit unconcious and when she regained conciousness found that she had been raped. Sometimes trying to help another brings about a penalty that is not deserved. Admittedly her case is an extreme example to compare to yours, but I have grown weary of this impasse and trying to explain to you the thoughts/reasons of another people's actions is beyond my ability.

I wish you well but I am no longer in this conversation.

Because participation on the site does deserve recognition :-: you earn +1 (max per day)

Yes because that applies to the case of people who logs in but only enter the forum to read.

I wish you well but I am no longer in this conversation.

I wish you well too. It's good to see you have a great reputation

I got a -3 -5 or whatever the score is (because nobody has explained the rules, by the way) because I wrote "Never give up" to a guy that wants to make it in the industry

Slow down. It's been pointed out repeatedly that this is probably not the primary reason you were downvoted. The primary reason is likely due to the fact that you trolled on LSU. People just don't like trolling (whether that's about LSU or anything else is mostly irrelevant). "Never give up" isn't enough to save a troll post, and hence you got downvoted.

but people get a +1,+3 or whatever for just logging in.

Have you read through the thread Stormynature linked? It discusses how much things are worth (up/down votes, logging in, etc.).

why is entering my username and password successfully more contribution than saying "don't give up"?

That's a valid point of discussion, and is exactly what is discussed in the link Stormynature posted. It's ok to discuss it. Just don't get emotional about things and take everything personal. It's the Internet, after all. Edited by Cornstalks

By the way my reputation score is going down as we speak, soon I will go from Ivan the Terrible to Darth Vader.

You know what if you don't want to remove it, at least make it fun, giving titles to milestones you reach example: when you reach 1000 your title is now Senior Developer or whatever.

By the way my reputation score is going down as we speak, soon I will go from Ivan the Terrible to Darth Vader.

For what it's worth, complaining about rep usually doesn't make it go up (it usually makes it go down). And your rep isn't that bad. Back in the day, 1000 used to be the starting rep, and we had some people who managed to hit 0. You can easily recover from this.

But I'm checking out of this thread. Peace, y'all.

For what it's worth, complaining about rep usually doesn't make it go up (it usually makes it go down)

Supposedly we are not allowed to down vote or up vote a post in the suggestions forum.

At least I don't see the boxes on the left, Is it a bug? Or people is down voting me on other posts because of this one? Either way is yet another flaw of the system

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!