• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Acotoz

We should bring down the voting system for good

This topic is 2534 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

*sigh* I don't know why I'm responding. I said I was done. Anyway...

[quote name='Cornstalks' timestamp='1342551066' post='4960115']
For what it's worth, complaining about rep usually doesn't make it go up (it usually makes it go down)

Supposedly we are not allowed to down vote or up vote a post in the suggestions forum.

At least I don't see the boxes on the left, Is it a bug? Or people is down voting me on other posts because of this one? Either way is yet another flaw of the system
[/quote]
It's not a bug. You can only vote in forums where votes are meaningful. Here's why complaining about rep usually decreases it:

1. User gets downvoted
  2. User gets offended/emotional and creates a thread complaining about it
  3. People see the thread, which draws additional traffic to the complainer's posts
  4. Usually, if a post get's downvoted, the post deserves it (not always, but usually) and it's an indication it's a poor post. More people seeing a poor post logically means more people downvote said poor post

And now I really, really am done here.

Advertisement
Editing a vote might be an improvement at least for me, because there were a few times when I accidentally voted the wrong post...

You can see your posts, think about them from the perspective of who read them and try to improve your own behavior on the boards instead of complaining about how the voting system is bad. This way you would be actually doing something for the community and increasing your reputation by actual, useful means, instead of complaining about the voting system because you behaved on a way that several people found inappropriate and decided to downvote you.

To sum up: The community said that it doesnt like the way you behaved, I believe you should try to improve and collaborate instead of complaning about these kinds of things.

instead of complaining about the voting system because you behaved on a way that several people found inappropriate and decided to downvote you.

Years ago, the NFL created a football league in Europe called NFL Europe, It was good at the beginning of it, but then it just became a developmental league for the American teams when it was supposed to be an European-only football league. You know what happened? the NFL decided to pull the plug.

Following on from the previous poster, here is an exercise. Take the last 20 posts you made that received a rating (whether positive or negative). Actually look at them, and try to see why you got the rate-- or rate++ that you did. I've skimmed your profile, and I honestly think you are trying to contribute, but here's the thing: a lot of your posting is either "pile on" stuff (you see this a lot in threads that have a very easy answer; a whole bunch of people eager to show their knowledge pile into a thread and it becomes several posts in a row saying the exact same thing. Your recent thread about the global variable that someone pointed out here is a small example of this. Some get pretty crazy though) or somehow involves some sort of half-crazy aside; ie, you hate LSU or you love twisty bread. Those kinds of crazy asides can be fun, but only if they are thrown into an otherwise helpful post. However, so much of your history is either too strongly opinionated and borderline inflammatory ("Blender is the best thing ever, for beginners and for experts.", "Arrays in every grown man programming language start from 0 not 1.", etc..) or just useless pith in even more useless threads. ("C++ is the founding father of the world. Learn it.")

So instead of assuming the system is broken because the community here doesn't find statements like that very constructive, you can polish up your craft and learn to contribute in a helpful manner. I promise if you do so, your rating will improve.

ie, you hate LSU or you love twisty bread

Y'all will never let that LSU deal go... About the braided bread, I did offer some sort of mathematical advice on the problem at hand, or didn't I?

Y'all will never let that LSU deal go... About the braided bread, I did offer some sort of mathematical advice on the problem at hand, or didn't I?

My wild guess is to use Bezier curves.

It kinda reminds me, when I was a kid, I use to frequent a bakery, their specialty was a braided bread just like that one. Good times...

But anyways, I think you can find something useful out of Bezier curves for this.
[/quote]

Hardly the most useful post, considering it follows the ever-classic format of Wild Guess->Crazy Aside->Re-iteration of Wild Guess. This is what I mean by polish your craft. It's so that instead of answering in generalities and wild guesses, you can answer with specificity and detail. That is the sort of answer that rates an up-vote. An earlier poster in that thread posted a possible solution that actually included a mathematical solution for the problem at hand.

Understand that we're not trying to just pile on you. I've only been a member here for a short while, but I have lurked for years and I've seen these kinds of "I got downrated, the rating system here suxxors!" threads before. They frequently don't end well. Just forget about your rating for awhile, and try to be helpful and useful, and it'll get better.

I hate the voting system, Everybody is an expert in voting down but nobody votes up. Just look at my score. I remember having 100 points and overnight I was down to 71.

I went and had a look at your history and do you know what I found? The first 10 rep points YOU gave out where down votes... the irony was quite quite tasty.
You also down voted good advice at that.

As for why your rep keeps dropping thing of it as a feedback cycle; you complain about rep, people go and look at your posts, see posts which they think need to be downvoted, your rep goes down, so you complain about it even more, more people see the posts and so on and so on.

The rep system itself is pretty easy;
- vote someone down and lose 1 point (to stop people just down rating everything they come across)
- vote someone up and gain 1 point (reward for taking part)
- login once per day and gain 1 point (reward for taking part)
- someone rates your post up and you gain 3 points
- someone rates you down and you lose 3 points
- someone follows your topic and you gain 5 points

It really isn't that complicated and a few seconds looking at your rep history should show you this and why the community had judged you so. Edited by phantom

I went and had a look at your history and do you know what I found? The first 9 rep points YOU gave out where down votes... the irony was quite quite tasty.

That accounts for 9 points, if I understand the rules correctly that should be 91 or so, What happened to the other 21? Those are my fault too?

What if users were able to change their minds and un-do their own votes if they later realised they had made a mistake? Do you think that would help to improve the system? Users would then still be free to rate posts based on snap-judgements, but if they were later corrected or had a change of heart they could un-do a vote, or even offer a vote in the opposite direction.

I believe so, for example:

note that this is not directed at AphocPiQ, just his post is used in this discussion:
http://www.gamedev.n...ost__p__4954779

essentially, he initially claimed that my code was prone to dead-locking, however, through further discussion, it became clear he was incorrect in this initial over-looking of my code, however, it seemed clear to me that people simply looked at his first post, and said "He's a mod/high rep, he's gatta be right", it's not to say he didn't provide some valid information, and the thread's discussion overall was helpful, but it's also not to say that he also didn't provide incorrect/unhelpful information(which is completely human, and again, not attempting to direct this at him in any way.).

I can't say for sure if anyone would have come back and changed their vote after further examination of the thread, but, it seems like something that's knee-jerking. Edited by slicer4ever

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!