• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Toxicshadow

Yet another 'which game dev library should I use?'

This topic is 2344 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Sorry to ask such an over asked question, but, which C++ game dev library should I use? I need it to 1, be free, 2, hopefully allow commercial licensing, 3 be easy to obtain(That's why I haven't been able to try Allegro, because its a fucking pain in the ass(excuse my language, but theres no other way to describe it) to obtain.) And I'd also like a library that you can work with, not a 'here let me do anything and everything for you right now' thing. I've already used a game engine before, it's called GM. Off topic but GM is a plague, once you go GM you don't go back.

So yeah, tl;dr version: I need a free, commercial licensing, downloadable(doesn't require a shitton of work to obtain) c++ (2d)game developing library.

All help is appreciated, thanks

Edit: Also don't give me a broken link. There were a few stickied threads I saw which had libraries/APIs/other useful things, but they had broken links, rendering the whole thread useless. Edited by Toxicshadow

Advertisement
I fear you have conflicting requirements.

1, be free, 2, hopefully allow commercial licensing, 3 be easy to obtain
[/quote]
=> game engine like UDK,Unity,CE

not a 'here let me do anything and everything for you right now' thing

=> you need different libraries, in common not really easy to get running and working together.

Best to wait a few years, maybe the market will produce some kind of Eier legende Wollmilchsau.

Also don't give me a broken link.
[/quote]
I took care to remove all links to libs/engines, I want to play safe here.

but they had broken links, rendering the whole thread useless.
[/quote]
There're some really powerful tools out there which will help you in this case, you can find one here. Edited by Ashaman73

What features do you need?

Given the mention of Allegro you could look at SFML or SDL, which offer similar feature sets. You might however find these equally as "hard to obtain" as Allegro, given that it's simply a matter of downloading the library and following the included build instructions, or alternatively downloading a binary for your compiler of choice. If you find that process difficult we could offer some help with trouble-shooting instead.

Edit: Also don't give me a broken link.

I don't know how you meant it, but you might consider that that comes across as a little insulting, insinuating that you might be given a broken link -- no one would do such a thing intentionally.

Given you seem to know this question is asked regularly, you might also search for some of the existing topics.

Eh, that post was kind of worded strangely. I really don't care about commercial licensing because it'd really conflict with a free library. Second, nono I didn't mean the 'don't give me a broken link' thing insulting. I'm sorry. I just meant please don't direct me to a thread with broken links? Not sure how to put it.

I guess the question I should ask would more be, what should I use? I'll be doing 2d game development for now. I've heard SDFL(I think? SFDL?) SDL, DirectX, and maybe a few others I can't remember, are good choices for game dev, but what would be practical to use? I don't need a library that has some texture support, but then focuses mostly on 3d model manipulation.
Just ignore the first post of mine.

I really don't care about commercial licensing because it'd really conflict with a free library.

Not at all, there are plenty of freely available libraries that can be used in commercial development. SFML and SDL are both free for commercial usage. Both provide basic lower-level functionality for opening a window, loading and displaying images, collecting input, etc. I suggested both of these and linked to the websites in my above reply. Either would be suitable for the requirements you've listed.

A second vote for SFML from me. It'll provide pretty much everything that you need. You'll definitely want to use 2.0. It still looks to be in RC mode but it's been pretty solid for a while.

I've heard SDFL(I think? SFDL?)

You don't read very well do you? Or you just skim over answers people give you to help you. As jbadams said:

Given the mention of Allegro you could look at SFML or SDL
[/quote]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!