• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
yats55

Is it possible to make a homebrew jamma arcade board?

This topic is 2253 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I dream of developing an arcade game and arcade board.
I imagine doing it with a Motorola 68000 and etc. Basicly do the process 80's/90's style

Would I be able to make a jamma board to put in a jamma cabinite and program a game for it? Can any one explain the summarise how to do it, if willing to?

As a begginer I also ask: I understand that Arcade board "systems" like the capcom boards etc have a bios chip just like consoles, does every single jamma board (ones that are just one game) have a bios chip?
If so, 1.Are you suppose to write the Firmware/Bios code in the assembly language of the main proccessor (In this case, the m68000)?
2. For boards that are just 1 game, should the firmware be inside the same code/rom chip as the game, or are they seperate?

I'd appreciate some links that will help me understand the process, if anyone has done something like this and posted it online I'd like those as well. Edited by bigbadbear9885

Advertisement

Is it possible to make a homebrew jamma arcade board?
Would I be able to make a jamma board to put in a jamma cabinite and program a game for it?

Sure. Anything is possible. Only problem is that then you also asked:

Can any one explain the summarise how to do it, if willing to?
[/quote]

No. You need to get an electrical engineering degree, and that cannot be summarized.

Since as Tom says this is likely an impossible undertaking for some one with out some knowledge of electrical engineering, why not compromise and use a pre-built board, that at least puts with in the realm of do able.
As far as I can tell JAMMA is more about the standardized connector than the hardware on the board so you'd have a better shot at doing it if you're willing to use something like a Rasberry PI, Beaglebone, or even an FPGA board like the DE0-Nano. However if you insist on designing and building the board you have a very long and tedious road a head of you. Edited by prh99

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!