• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Tool to mathematically create a mesh

This topic is 1976 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I need a good tool to mathematically create a surface and then get it into 3ds max, for example a sphere is defined algeraically as x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = r^2. Any examples? The only one I can find is 3D-Math Xplor, but the full version only works on a mac and I have Windows 7. The Java version that works on all platforms does not have the export functionality!

Advertisement
Blender can do this with an addon I believe. The addon can be enabled in the user preferences window and is called 'Extra Objects'.

Hmm, this is very close to what I need, but it uses parametric equations to define the formula, e.g. a sphere would in the form: x = r cos(u) sin(v), y = r sin(u) sin(v), z = r cos(v). I need something I can type x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = r^2 and get a sphere!? I've been looking for a way to convert the equation of the surface I have to a parametric one but can 't really figure it out!

Parametrization of an equation is really simple once you get your head wrapped around it, here's a wikipedia article which explains it quite clearly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parametric_equation

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement