• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Falcon68

Legal Documents? Any I would be dumb not to have my team sign?

This topic is 2255 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Now that I have a team together and we are starting our development process I am trying to determine if there are any legal documents I should really try and get my team to sign. I've found a number of sites that provide templates for legal forms that I can have my team sign. I've decided this is really going to be a hobbyist project and money will only switch hands if the game really starts to gain popularity as we post more information. I mean I could do an NDA but do I care if they discuss what they are working on? Not really so that shouldn't be an issue.

We are not a official entity as of yet but I may eventually register a company name. I am so clueless when it comes to law related things so hoping someone can provide some insight. I've looked into registering the business name already and it doesn't look like a big deal but it looks like it is $10 a year to keep the name. Which is nothing of course.

Advertisement
You should have contracts in place to deal with any future distribution of revenue and at the very least licensing for anything created. (If you go commercial in the future and one member of your team is unhappy with how you distribute the profits he could kill the project by not granting you the rights to use his work so it is a very good idea to get that sorted immediatly) (If it is a hobby project you can and probably should let the teammembers keep their own copyright, but you have to make sure you and/or the project get a license to use and distribute their work commercially)

Well I found this template... which it seems would be what you are describing... unless perhaps anyone can find a better template for my kind of project.

http://doc.laws.com/...perty-agreement

There are certain categories I don't really need... like I don't want to agree on payment for the intellectual propery. Can I just delete a whole section or will that make the document no longer a valid legal document? Sorry I know nothing about this topic.

A lawyer could make you a better document. It would be dumb to write your own.
You should read this in any case:
http://underdevelopmentlaw.com/collaboration-agreements-and-online-development-teams/

There are certain categories I don't really need... like I don't want to agree on payment for the intellectual propery. Can I just delete a whole section or will that make the document no longer a valid legal document?

Unfortunately this could potentially invalidate the document. Legalese (the language used in constructing legal documents) and the structure used in a legal document are very specific, and unless you have a lawyer check it over you can't be sure your document is structured and worded correctly.

If you don't want to speak to a lawyer -- and I strongly suggest that you should -- you would be better off writing a simple agreement in plain english than trying to construct or edit your own legal document.

You will most likely run into problems later unless you make them sign the licensing agreement like others have told you, but i would also make them sign the NDA just so that they do not talk about the internals of the project for example to hackers. I would also make them sign the non-compete clause so that they just wont take your source make some visible changes and start competing with you.

i would also make them sign the NDA

Just have the lawyer include a confidentiality clause in the collaboration agreement. And of course an IP ownership section, with full discussion of rights, is essential.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!