A* turning and unit direction

Started by
6 comments, last by GlenDC 11 years, 8 months ago
Hello all,

I'm currently spending some time trying to improve my pathfinding library and was looking for some ideas on how to deal with direction of units and their turn radius.

For example if a unit had its back to the target, a straight line path wouldn't be suitable as returned by A* (assuming no clear path between unit and target) as the unit would have to rotate around, and the turn radius could potentially make it follow a path that touches grid cells that where not in the original calculated clear path and over cells has a blocking obstacle.

My original thinking was to factor the direction cost into the heuristic function of the A* algorithm but its getting pretty messy and not very reliable so I thought id ask if others have implemented anything similar, thinks this is the wrong approach and has better ideas or even can point me to any helpful papers/articles.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Sorry I'm not sure how but I double posted by accident, the other double post has now been deleted
I have also been investigating various pathfinding solutions that take into account a turn radius and agent orientation. The most useful article I've seen so far on this matter is http://www.gamasutra...pathfinding.php where they essentially make the orientation information a part of their search state space and rule out certain tiles based on the given turning radius during the search.

It's a rather old article, but I think lots of the information there is still relevant. There's also a presentation floating around on aigamedev about some pathing goodness from Company of Heroes, but if I recall, that presentation is a little light on details with regard to their vehicular movement.
The CoH one was done by Chris Jurney. There's a good article on it in AI Game Programming Wisdom 4.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Thanks snowmanZOMG and IADaveMark, that Chris Jurney article seems very interesting and looks like it discusses exactly what I was after. The bad news is the book is out of print and used copies seem to be retailing upwards of $400 on amazonohmy.png . The demand for that book must be very high, wish there was an ebook version I could buy.

I'm going to have to try and find someone who has it and can lend it me sad.png
You can still find the book on the world wide web. If you don't wanna pay because your a poor student or don't have the money for it for other reasons than you can always download it. This is not wrong in my opinion to do, it's just like sharing books, like they do with small books in the metro stations smile.png

Oh, and thank you snowmanZOMG for your shared information!

Edit: Damnit can't find a correct version of the ebook version. Does anyone have a working ebook version of it available online ?
The publisher said they are working on a Kindle version at the moment. Trust me, hilarity ensued when the bots bid the price up to $400. tongue.png

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Awesome, than I can read it on my lovely Kindle. Thanks IADaveMark for the information. It's pretty insane that the price is so high oO

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement