Inventory Screens...

Started by
26 comments, last by riuthamus 11 years, 8 months ago

What I mean is, where do you see the actual recipe, not just the name? I would need to know what ingredients to use to make what I want to make.

Ah, recipes dont work like that. They are "quick links" they are things you have done before or you learned and they pull the materials from your inventory over. If you do not have the materials for that recipe, it will not pull it over.
Advertisement
What happens if I don't have all the ingredients? Or if I want to know what a recipe needs?
Hm... good point. Okay ill add that in there as well! :) smart man!
For your system, a simple hover should fill that need.
This thread is coming out great as it also helped me add some functionality to my ingame inventory. Its funny how you miss somethings that a player would instantly look and say "hey, you know, we could really use X right here!". Thumbs up for everyone.
I really like the tab idea, either catagory or type tabs, I would also include an "info" spot where the name and description of the item is displayed.
Regarding listing the crafting ingrediants:

The player looks at the recipe list and the various item names are all colored. If they have no ingrediants to make that item then the item name is dull, if they have some but not all then the name is displayed in some color like white. If they have all of the necessary ingrediants then the item name is a bold green color. That would make it easy to locate things they can craft or need more stuff to make.

Then, selecting any item from the list displays the items in the crafting menu and then dulled-out pictures of the ingredients are shown in the materials slots. These similarly have are colored with dull grey being absent, white being you have the item, and then if you drag and drop the right ingredient to the slot then it shows a colored picture of the material.

Basically, take a look at the Team Fortress 2 crafting system where any time you have to craft an item the crafting menu will show a dulled-out picture of it in the slot where you will eventually have to put it.
We finished the backend for the crafting today, finally we can make the UI in the first link. I will be testing it out and seeing how well it works for flow and such. I will upload a video when I do and you guys can tell me what you think of the layout, the flow, and how it all looks. Thanks again, you have all been a real help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement