• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ben Bowen

A Concern Regarding Operating Systems and Technical Influences

35 posts in this topic

[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1342816446' post='4961453']
[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1342811868' post='4961416']
3) Poor support for multiple monitors. (Ok, i can expand my desktop to cover all monitors or mirror my displays, but why don't i get separate taskbars and taskswitchers, shortcuts to move applications between monitors, and other usability features ?) (There are some really good third party apps for this though but they cost almost as much as the OS itself and it should be a standard feature these days)[/quote]
Multiple monitors have a lot of new features in windows 8. Multiple taskbars is one of them [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

[quote]5) insanely buggy sleep on my desktop (works great on my laptop though)
[/quote]
To my knowledge the sleep/hybernate stuff is totally different in 8, so no saying how this will be affected without having messed with a device running it :/
[/quote]

Will those taskbars automatically contain the applications that are on that taskbars monitor ? , i basically want what i got in Linux, 1 taskbar per monitor, alt tab switching between windows on the current monitor(whicheverone the currently focused app is on) and meta-tab to switch between windows on visible desktops and possibly a key that can switch to windows on non visible desktops (I'm using VistaSwitcher now whenever i have to use Windows so its not that bad)

To add just another note - Windows was built from the ground up to look pretty for the consumer market.... Linux was built from the ground up to get S*** done.
if you were a good programmer you would notice the difference.
Windows API's is over complicated and slow.
Linux development is easy to understand and fast.

"Hahaha - you can't make a Processor go faster ,young padawan, but you can however make it do less..." - just throw that in there to (microsoft style... ;D) Edited by naf456

[quote name='naf456' timestamp='1342827024' post='4961513']
I read an article about a year ago about how Linux development has boosted and will soon out grow Windows developement.
[/quote]

Yep, this year is the year of the linux desktop... oh... wait, this isn't 1998... or 1999.... or 2000.... or 2001....

[center][size=5][b]What does the above post actually add? oh, right...nothing....[/b][/size][/center]

Like Windows? good for you... all I know is Microsoft is failing.
I have got a [b]WP7[/b] mobile - frankly it sucks - has very little growth in comparison to [b]Android[/b] (**Cough**Linux**Cough**) or[b] iOS[/b](**Cough** UNIX **Cough**)

I have also tried windows 8 - very good, you get use to the metro UI , although I prefer the out and through PC OS - instead of a tablet/PC hyrid - look like your stuck with that for another, what 5/6 years? good luck with that.

EDIT:

And Whats gets me, the CEO of microsoft gets a failing platform (WP7) - takes it's concept and applies it to their flagship product! what an idiot! didn't anyone tell him! no one wants metro! (apart from the 13year old microsoft fanboys and girls.) Edited by naf456

My post - the history of linux on the desktop and the constant promise of 'linux taking over'.

Your post - some drivel about linux taking over

We are both probably contributing about the same amount; at least I have the common decency to keep my post short and without a pointless signature.

[quote name='naf456' timestamp='1342827593' post='4961518']
To add just another note - Windows was built from the ground up to look pretty for the consumer market.... Linux was built from the ground up to get S*** done.
if you were a good programmer you would notice the difference.
Windows API's is over complicated and slow.
Linux development is easy to understand and fast.

"Hahaha - you can't make a Processor go faster ,young padawan, but you can however make it do less..." - just throw that in there to (microsoft style... ;D)
[/quote]

Not sure if you're a troll, or just ignorant. My vote is on the latter. Anyone who can say with a straight face that that Linux development is easier than Windows development hasn't done one or the other. Building a GUI application with WPF and building a game with XNA on Windows are much, much easier than building their counterparts on either Linux or OS X. The same is true of mobile development. The tools and environment for WP7 development is far more accessible than Android and iOS.

[quote name='Reflexus' timestamp='1342808103' post='4961391']
Yes. Close it.
[/quote]

+1

The context of this thread is being argued by multiple people with differing levels of skill and knowledge in a very technical answer through their own perspectives. This is not to denigrate anyone's skill set mind you. Each person has their own set of experiences and viewpoints but I don't really see much common ground being established or for that matter real discussion happening between both sides that leads to agreement or even a civil "well we shall have to agree to disagree. At best, without pointing fingers it seems to bounce between addressing technical issues and WTF are you smoking? The only truth I can take from this entire thread is that all the operating systems available atm have issues which are annoying to the user which is all and good but doesn't get beyond a cyclical argument that progresses nowhere.

I should point out this post is from my non-tech perspective.

[quote name='naf456' timestamp='1342827593' post='4961518']
Linux was built from the ground up to get S*** done.
[/quote]

So... what kind of shit are you doing on linux exactly? Beside attempting to troll (and being pretty bad at it) on a forum of course?
One of the reasons nobody will take linux seriously is useless trolls like you storming the forums. You, as the OP, stop embarrassing yourselves, what's the attraction in being considered stupid? Beats me.

Yeah alright, little bit of a troll.

Linux is just soo much unbelievably faster then windows, it's unreal.
Again saying that, nothing is much slower either...
Trolling? Proof? Mac , Linux - my G4 powermac boots and launches photoshop faster then my PC gets to the login screen.

Anyway... All I know is if It has "Made by MICROSOFT" printed on it - it's usually terrible :
Windows Mobile - terrible
Windows Phone 7 - terrible
Windows Azure - look pretty good actually
Windows 8 - terrible
Hotmail - terrible.
Silverlight - Used to like that, but has been discontinued.
Xbox - Best thing they've done. Microsoft will ruin it , I'm sure of it.

And plus XNA really all that good? - tried it but the projects that come out of it seem very 'weekend'y - and I know a lot of these people spend months on them.

Trolling? Hmm...maybe - actually yes, trolling. But you can't say that I'm not right - I am right.

And Kunos - get some Fucking balls. No one gives a shit about Trolls or fangirls.

I'm pretty bad a trolling? your fucking terrible at insulting people.