Let's have a good POV..

Started by
20 comments, last by GSnake 11 years, 8 months ago

Hmm yeah but I think that I've explained the whole thing in a kinda bad way. With game loop I mean: I start doing this and that... now... how can I set my game to "go to the next level?". What if my pg dies? And so on...[/quote]
Well yeah, it shows a way to do it. I suggest you try to undestand the intensions of the tutorial i mentioned. Then you think about how you would do it, do it and then see how it worked out.
I would not think about how you go from one level to another when you don't have one level.

E: another tutorial worth looking at may be: http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php
If you work without SDL you can skip the SDL specific explanations. Here is also an introduction to tools you will make/need like Timing in games, caping frames and so on. Very basic and easy to understand tutorial in my opinion.
Project: Project
Setting fire to these damn cows one entry at a time!
Advertisement
Hi everyone,
I think there are several books you can use.
I suggest

C++:
OOP:
OpenGL:
Design:
Of course there are much more, but these are the books that I've just in the head. I read everyone of them, so I can highly recommend them. Also there is many resource in the web. But nothing can replace experience so just try it.

PS: I will update this reply when I remember other books that I have read. :)
Reading, Reading, Reading... why do you read not more?
I have a blog: omercan1993.wordpress.com look there for more content
And I also do some art: omercan1993.deviantart.com
And whats about the Pear3DEngine? Never heard of it? Go and look!
Yeah, and currently I do this: SimuWorld

PS: Please look at this poll on my blog about scripting languages: A opinion poll about scripting language
So... C++ with a media library such as SDL.Then I'll move to platform specific environment. :-)

This is one way to manage what is done and when. http://gamedevgeek.c...me-states-in-c/

Please make sure not to make all your game states singletons as suggested in this article, the last thing you want is a ton of global state sitting around being "managed"... the rest of the article seems pretty standard though.

[quote name='TMKCodes' timestamp='1342789106' post='4961309']
This is one way to manage what is done and when. http://gamedevgeek.c...me-states-in-c/

Please make sure not to make all your game states singletons as suggested in this article, the last thing you want is a ton of global state sitting around being "managed"... the rest of the article seems pretty standard though.
[/quote]

Thanks for mentioning that. I myself forgot about the damn singletons I myself hate them probably more than any other programming technique. It has been a while since I read that article, but I knew that it talked about State Manager.
Thank you all! I'll start a little project in august I think (got to study right now! exams...) so I'll keep you updated! Thank you all! What a great community! :-)

So... C++ with a media library such as SDL.Then I'll move to platform specific environment. :-)

What got me started from ground up with SDL is this guy's website : http://lazyfoo.net

Read the articles section too, it talks about beginning game development. The article on state machines is nice too.

[size=1]I "surf" the web, literally.

The book Game Coding Complete is a good book for describing the overall strucutre and systems involved in a game. I've not got this latest edition, but the Second edition is very good.

The book Game Coding Complete is a good book for describing the overall strucutre and systems involved in a game. I've not got this latest edition, but the Second edition is very good.

So it's theory + practice at the same time? I already program so I do not really need a C++ guide (Even if I program in C, but with some web searching I'd the trick). Can I spend my 40 € without burning in anger later? :-P

In other words: being a total beginner in these area, will the book guide me through all the learning course? (basic features + advanced ones)
Hmmm so should I pick that book?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement